Take a Poll!

Is the traffic in the school lot better this year than last year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
View All

What is Hills Watching this Fall Season?

TV shows and movies to get you get into the fall spirit
Gilmore Girls, Scream, The Nightmare Before Christmas posters

As everyone begins to settle into the 2023 autumn season, finding a TV show or movie to provide comfort and distraction from the demands of school life becomes essential.  

When asked about TV shows, one completely took over student answers: Gilmore Girls. This beloved series, known for its quick-witted banter, small-town charm, and the endearing mother-daughter duo of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, is known to be a comforting staple as autumn settles in. Set in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Gilmore Girls is a relatable escape from the hustle and bustle of school life. Junior Lexi Bonczek pointed out, “Gilmore Girls is the perfect fall show because not only does Stars Hollow have the perfect fall vibe, but I love that it shows Rory going to school while I start a new school year.” Watching this show at the beginning of a new year can motivate students to work hard and maintain their bonds with friends and family as Rory does in the show. Some other shows mentioned were The Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl. 

When it comes to movies, Wayne Hills students love to get into the Halloween genre as soon as October hits. If you’re trying to get into the spooky spirit, there are many movies that should be on your list. Students tend to watch movies ranging from classics like “Scream” and “The Shining” to more recent favorites like “The Conjuring” and “Us.” Matian Banusi, a junior, commented on the “Scream” series, explaining how “it handles slasher horror in a very teenage way.” He adds how it is a great movie for this time of year since it is mostly set during the beginning of fall. This series perfectly blends teenage life with elements of horror, as well as having a relatable cast of characters, making it particularly appealing to teen audiences. 

Although scary horror movies seem to dominate students’ screens at this time of year, some tend to gravitate toward more comforting or even festive Halloween films in anticipation of the holidays. Movies like “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” seem to pique interest as the holiday season approaches while maintaining those cozy fall elements. Tyler Jason, a sophomore, talked about his favorite fall movie, “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” This film revolves around Jack Skellington, the King of Halloween Town, and his plot to kidnap Santa Claus and take over Christmas. Tyler explained, “I think it’s the best movie for fall because it combines Halloween and Christmas into one thing. It gets me really excited for the holidays coming around the corner.” 

The fall season is admired for its warm and comforting aspects. These films and shows definitely know how to capture the unique ambiance of this season. For many viewers, this genre evokes a sense of nostalgia as they are brought back to childhood memories of trick-or-treating and spending Halloween with their friends and family. This genre also offers a lot of diversity in themes and stories, catering to a wide audience with a variety of preferences. The imaginative storytelling and effects provide an immersive experience you can’t have with any other genre.

Whether you’re in the mood for a spine-chilling thriller or a heartwarming holiday picture, there are countless movies and shows to get you in the spirit of this fall season.