Take a Poll!

Is the traffic in the school lot better this year than last year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
View All

Kick-Starting Summer with Rom-Coms

El Rodeo News
Some popular Rom-Coms

A quintessential movie genre that has been around for decades: Rom-Coms. With the weather warming up, sometimes you just need to cool off inside and watch a feel-good movie, and what better to watch than a classic rom-com?

Rom-coms, or romantic comedies, have been a staple in the film industry for years. From Pretty in Pink (1986) to Anyone But You (2024), romantic comedies make for comforting movies to put on when you just need something light-hearted to watch. Whether you’re having a girls-night with your friends or a self-care night by yourself, rom-coms will surely be perfect movies to make you laugh, cry, and most importantly, warm your heart. With summer coming up and students having more free time, the students of Wayne Hills High School share their favorite rom-coms for you to watch over the summer.

Eva Sabbagh, a junior at Wayne Hills, shared her favorite rom-com, “I love 10 Things I Hate About You. It’s really cute and I like that the sisters are complete opposites.” 10 Things I Hate About You is definitely a classic, having that romantic enemies-to-lovers trope between Kat (Julia Styles) and Patrick (Heath Ledger). The addition of having both sisters, Kat and Bianca, have their own love story also adds a fun twist on the classic rom-com plotline. I would definitely agree with Eva in saying that this one will surely warm your heart.

While many well-known rom-coms, like 10 Things I Hate About You, came out in earlier years, there are tons of more modern rom-coms that I would consider a “must-watch”. Emilia Caruso, a junior at Wayne Hills, shared her favorite 21st-century rom-com, “My favorite is To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before. I think it’s cute and romantic and since they are in high school, it shows that love can be found at all ages.” Since this movie came out in 2018, it shares a more modern love story, featuring a fake-dating to real-dating trope.

Personally, I love How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days and Clueless, which combine impeccable fashion with romantic love stories. Both movies have entertained viewers for years and continue to have long-lasting influences on fashion and pop culture. Despite coming out in 2003, Andie Anderson’s (How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days) iconic yellow dress is still a must-have in many girls’ closets.

If you are looking to have a chill night with your friends, family, or just with yourself, I highly suggest having a rom-com marathon and celebrating this genre that has produced many “must-watch” movies. Creativity shines through in rom-com movies, as despite movies of this genre seemingly having a similar plot, each creator makes it their goal to add fun twists to make their movie stand out. Rom-coms have truly made their mark on pop culture and continue to be home to some of the most iconic movies of all time.