Take a Poll!

Is the traffic in the school lot better this year than last year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
View All

Best of 2023: Books!

Courtesy of Wayne Hills Public School website

As 2023 is coming to an end, it’s about time to reflect on the books that have captivated the hearts and minds of the Wayne Hills body. From novels from the school curriculum to insightful non-fiction, here is a curated list of the best reads from 2023, based on the opinions of Wayne Hills students.

1. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Despite initially thinking that she wouldn’t enjoy it at first, as it was in the 9th grade reading curriculum, freshman Anjuli Mahajan instantly gets hooked on the storytelling and plot. Golding wrote the novel in 1954 based on his experience in the Royal Navy during WWII. Wanting to explore the depths of evil in the human heart, Golding uses many instances of symbolism to reflect how humanity is prone towards disorder, chaos, and evil.

“I honestly didn’t think I would really like it at first, since I never particularly enjoyed the ‘classic’ novels.” Anjuli said. “But it was a fun read, and I do like the characters too.”

2. King of Pride by Ana Huang

When this novel first got published in April 22, 2023, Rania Shaker was especially pleased. The novel follows the lives of Kai and Isabella as they try to navigate through their relationship. It is the second book in the series called Kings of Sin also by Huang.

“I won’t say any spoilers,” Rania said, “but I will say that I was close to crying by the time I got to the end of the book.”

3. Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi

Freshman Emily Kolkka was well immersed in the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi by the time she entered her first year in high school. Restore Me is the 6th book out of the 11 book series. It is set in a future where society is controlled by an oppressive government, as most dystopian novels do. For fans of dystopian and supernatural-based genres, this series is the perfect read.

“This particular one is a bit hard to understand if you haven’t read 1-5 yet, but I personally like it.” Emily said. “I never read the Harry Potter series before, so I suppose this is technically my version of Harry Potter.”

4. The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods

As a personal favorite of Sarah Hong, The Lost Bookshop is an adventure-packed novel where three unsuspecting people realize that their lives are just as exciting and immersive as the ones found in their favorite books. It highlights many of the historical experiences through the eyes of women from the 1920s.

As we say goodbye to 2023, remember that these books aren’t just stories on paper, but they are open doors to new perspectives, worlds, and possibilities.