Take a Poll!

Is the traffic in the school lot better this year than last year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
View All

Wayne Hills Predicts the 96th Annual Oscar Winners

Barbie and Oppenheimer are both the most anticipated winners for the 2024 Oscars!
Vulture
“Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” are both the most anticipated winners for the 2024 Oscars!

The new year has brought in lots of buzz about the 2024 Oscar nominations. Here are the most anticipated winners in each category!

This year, many familiar names and faces were shown on the big screen, as Greta Gerwig’s Barbie dominated billboards across the nation. Cillian Murphy, Bradley Cooper, and Margot Robbie all stole the screen this past year and have lots of Oscar buzz. Established directors, like Martin Scorsese and Christopher Nolan, have released their projects this year and are definitely rumored to be nominated for Best Director.

You could probably guess who the front runners are for Best Picture as the world has not stopped talking about Gerwig’s blockbuster Barbie movie. While many Barbie and Margot Robbie lovers would root for Barbie for best picture, many movie critics agree that this year Nolan’s Oppenheimer will take the cake. While these two movies have definitely had the most hype this past year, we cannot discount the massive success of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Killers of the Flower Moon, and Poor Things, which all are predicted to be nominated for the 2024 Oscars.

Mia Smallheer, a junior at Wayne Hills, gave me her input on what movie should win Best Picture, “I think Barbie should win. It’s a great movie that I think everyone loved and the actors are really good.”

Many Barbie fans like Mia would also hope that Margot Robbie can secure Best Actress in the 2024 Oscars.  However, many critics predict that Lily Gladstone may take home the win for her performance in Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon. As for Best Actor, many would predict that Cillian Murphy would win for his beautiful portrayal of Robert Oppenheimer. However, some movie critics believe that 2024 will be Bradley Cooper’s year, as he is suspected to win for his performance in Maestro. 

“My favorite actress in a movie this year was definitely Melissa Barrera for Scream 6, so I would hope she could get nominated,” said Matian Banusi, a junior at Wayne Hills High School.

This year has proven to produce many successful movies and many people cannot wait to see whether or not their favorites will make the cut to win an Oscar! In just a couple of weeks, the official nominations will be released, so make sure to google “Oscar Nominations” on January 23. In case you want to keep yourself up to speed and watch all of the nominated movies, you have until March 10th when the winners will be announced at 7 pm. For now, keep your fingers crossed that your favorite movie of the year will secure a nomination for the 96th Oscar Award Show.