Take a Poll!

Is the traffic in the school lot better this year than last year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
View All

Watching 2023: The Best TV Shows of the Year

Shows+of+2023+%28left%3A+The+Last+of+Us%29+%28Right%3A+Abbott+Elementary%29+
    Cosmopolitan
    Shows of 2023 (left: The Last of Us) (Right: Abbott Elementary)

The 2023 year has been eventful, as it was filled with information on social media, news channels, and even newspapers. While the media is constantly filled with somewhat chaotic events happening, many people need a break. For many, television has been a life-saver during this year. TV gives everyone a break to focus on a fictional world and even find characters that they can relate to.

The 2023 year has produced many successful and entertaining TV shows and with the year coming to an end, Wayne Hills High School students pointed out some of their ultimate favorite shows of the year!

From thrilling action shows to dramatic teen romance shows, 2023 has produced various television shows with talented actors, amazing soundtracks, and beautiful cinematography. The Emmy Awards (award show for TV shows) prove how successful the 2023 film year has been as shows like The Bear, Succession, and The Last of Us dominate the nomination categories. Many well-known actors and actresses are nominated for best actor/actress in a TV show and Wayne Hills High School Students are excited to see the results.

Daisy Jones and the Six, a book written by Taylor Jenkins Reid,  was made into a limited TV series this year and many fans loved it. This book has been one of my favorites for a while, so this new show was exciting to watch. Junior Rebecca Siuffe agreed with me, “The show made me want to read the book. I loved the whole vibe of it and the outfits.” Rebecca and other fans of Daisy Jones should be happy to know that it is nominated for various categories in the Emmy Awards!

However, TV is not limited to just dramatic shows. 2023 has been a great year for reality TV as well. Deanna Asmar, a junior at Wayne Hills, shared her favorite reality TV show of the year, “I loved watching Dubai Bling. I like it because it shows power, great achievements, success, and independence.” This show features the lavish life of millionaires in Dubai, so if you are looking for a show featuring fancy parties and private jets, this may be one to watch before the new year!

For myself, I think 2023 was a hugely successful year for the TV industry. My favorite show, of this year and all time, The Last of Us, came out this year and I am very happy to see it nominated for many awards. Every actor involved is very talented and the sets prove to display a scary, yet beautiful, apocalyptic world. Following a thrilling plotline, I also enjoyed the show, Yellowjackets, which I would recommend for anyone looking for a disturbing and complex story. As I previously mentioned, I loved watching Daisy Jones and the Six, as it brought my favorite book to life.  Many others would agree that The White Lotus was a great product of 2023, as it has an all-star cast and mysterious plot. Last but certainly not least, one of my favorite comedies of this year was Shrinking, which featured lots of funny and heartfelt moments.

The TV industry in 2024 has a tough act to follow, as 2023 produced many famous and successful shows. While it is sad to leave behind some shows and characters in 2023, there is much to look forward to in the new year. Fans are looking forward to the live-action version of Avatar: The Last Airbender along with various shows releasing a new season, such as Abbott Elementary, Bridgerton, and House of the Dragon. For TV enjoyers, we can hope that 2024 proves to produce as many entertaining shows as 2023 did!