Take a Poll!

Is the traffic in the school lot better this year than last year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
View All

New Policy Affects Social Media

Students can no longer run school-related social media accounts
Screenshot+of+Glamour+Gals+instagram+
Chelsey Fernicola
Screenshot of Glamour Gals instagram

On Monday October 16, 2023, Wayne Hills staff were informed over email that students cannot run and control social media platforms for their clubs.

Principal Mr Rewick told staff that students cannot be in charge of posting content or being an administrator for the account. This affects club advisors and members across the school.

Many students have strong opinions on controlling their club’s social media accounts.

Wayne Hills High School has a total of 38 clubs. All clubs are unique in their own way. They range from Marching Band to DECA. With 38 active clubs at this school, many clubs will have a student running their social media account.

Bella Mongello, the public relations officer for The Wayne Hills Glamour Gals chapter expresses her opinion on no longer having control to post on their social media account. She said, “It’s unfair because I worked hard to gain the position of being in charge of the social media account by making the post, captions, etc. Now that I cannot have access to post these things. I find this unfair.”

When asked the same question to President of the Class of 2024 Ava Rewick said, “I hate that I can’t have access to the Instagram anymore. I think our social media is so important for our class because we post reminders and fundraisers. Although I can send a post to my advisor, it’s just not the same. Student Council is a student-run club in which students should be able to have access to their Instagrams.”

This new rule hasn’t only affected students, it has also affected the staff, Since club advisors must now manage the social media account.

Mr. Rewick discussed his decision on this situation. He said, “My opinion on this situation is to protect teachers and students from legal problems.”

Rewick explained that he was at a conference a few weeks ago. The OPRA (Open Public Records Act) law was brought up. OPRA is a state law gives the public a greater access to the government records maintained by public agencies in New Jersey. According to state law, members of the public could request all the activity of a school-related social media account.

If one club member from Wayne Hills who has control of social media accidentally likes something that’s slightly inappropriate, staff would be responsible for that students’ behavior.