Take a Poll!

Is the traffic in the school lot better this year than last year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
View All

A Wrap on the Writers Strike

With negotiations in the air, film enjoyers wonder what the end of the Writer’s strike will mean for this new era of Hollywood.
CNBC
The writers on strike stand together in unison to work towards fair treatment.

The writer’s strike that has caused a deadlock in Hollywood for many months is finally coming to an end, but people are now wondering what this truly means for the film industry.

Prior to these recent negotiations, fan-favorite shows like Stranger Things and Yellowjackets had to stop the writing and production process, delaying them severely. Writers uphold an important role in this community, as without them, shows become bland and people will be forced to watch reruns of canceled shows.

The Writers Guild of America (WGA) has been negotiating for better payment since March of 2023 and has been officially striking since May of 2023. It wasn’t until September 20 2023 that these negotiations actually signified change for the WGA.

The strike first began due to CEOs of major film companies making much more than their workers. CNBC stated that “David Zaslav, CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery Inc., was paid $498,915,318 between 2018 and 2022. That’s a staggering 384 times the average pay of a Hollywood writer.” Along with unfair payment, writers were beginning to be replaced with artificial intelligence, which put an entire line of work in danger. Thankfully, with actors and supportive members of the film industry joining the strike, the WGA was able to negotiate for fair conditions. It is crucial that both actors and writers get back to work as soon as possible so that fans can finally see what will happen to Eleven and her friends in season 5 of Stranger Things. 

The WGA was able to talk with top film companies and overall obtain a majority of their requests. The writers are now protected from being replaced with AI and will secure a fair payment percentage for their work. The negotiation is still in process as the Guild has to approve the contract and then members have to ratify it. While the contract is still undergoing approval, the New York Times reports that members of the Guild believe this new contract is “exceptional — with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership.” Fair working conditions are definitely well deserved after months of endless striking.

While the writers can get back to work after this contract is approved, the actors are still on strike. Similarly to the writers, actors are severely underpaid when compared to the big CEOs racking in the majority of television and film profit. Since the WGA and SAG-AFTRA (the actors union) are not directly related to each other, this new contract will not directly impact the actors. However, according to the New York Times, “the deal with writers could provide a blueprint for negotiations on some concerns shared by actors.” Most people across the nation will pray that the actors will strike up a negotiation soon so that Stranger Things can not only finish writing the new script, but filming the actors as well.

The world is colored in optimism as this contract proves that fair working conditions can be reached. Anzor Mustafa, a senior at Wayne Hills High School,  supported the writers as he said, “I am super excited for my favorite shows to come back. I am so happy that people are exercising their democratic right to strike for better working conditions.” Many students at Wayne Hills High School feel a wave of optimism as the writers are set to achieve better working conditions, along with excitement for their favorite shows and movies to return to the big screen.

The WGA set an example for any other worker, or student, who feels they are being treated unfairly, proving that they can advocate for themselves. Citizens and Wayne Hills students can only hope that the actor’s strike resolves quickly so that the country’s favorite shows and movies can go back into production.