What Wayne Hills Students Want You To Know About Ramadan

Fellow Wayne Hills Student Adem Ademi who celebrates Ramadan

By Trisha Vyas and Anzor Mustafa

A period of 30 days centered around the practice of fasting from sunset to sundown, Ramadan goes beyond what people might first think. Many students at Wayne Hills have been participating and fasting for  Ramadan since Wednesday, March 22 and it ends on April 20

A holy month of worship, Ramadan, is during the month Muslims believe the Quran began to be revealed to Prophet Muhammad. It is a time filled with joy and spirituality with fasting being one of the pillars of Islam.  

Muslim students honor the month in vastly different ways. While others are spending time with family, or praying, or focusing on fixing behavioral issues, the diversity of Ramadan should not be forgotten. Freshman Azra Ozgun prospects the importance of this month. She said that it is the “highest form of worship” and it’s a private worship that is incredibly personal. She added that it’s also not only about fasting but about other forms of worship.  Whether it’s spending time with family or decorating the house with ‘Ramadan vibes’ this time could also be fun and is not as miserable as people may assume. 

Additionally, she wanted non-Muslims to understand that they are not fasting for the entire 30 days and are allowed to drink and eat after sundown. Questions like “Not even water?” or “No eating for the entire 30 days?” are ones that stick out to her as being untrue. 

Although we all know that students at Hills are celebrating Ramadan at school, a lot of people may have misconceptions about the celebration and many just think that it is just fasting all day for a 30-day period.

When talking to senior Emine Kalkan who celebrates Ramadan, she said that Ramadan is essential to her because it is a time of regrowth from the last year and a time to step back and look at everything you do. Ramadan is not just about fasting, it is a time to focus spiritually and a time to connect with friends and family friends. Although Kalkan does fast and admits that the second day of fasting is the hardest for her, she likes fasting because she feels like it cleanses her body and allows her body to rest while she focuses on other things.