Student Council Hosts Blood Drive

Wayne Hills Student Council Blood Drive 2019

By Eunho Jung, Senior Editor

On Friday, May 20, the Wayne Hills Student Council is hosting a blood drive in the North Gym from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Sponsored by Vitalant, a nonprofit organization that collects blood from volunteers and distributes it across the United States, students and staff are welcome and encouraged to donate blood to help those in need.

Donors must be at least 16 years old, weigh over 110 pounds, and generally in good health. Donors must also bring a photo ID to the blood drive (driver’s license, school ID, passport, etc.)

Back in January, the American Red Cross declared a “national blood crisis” as the surge of COVID-19 cases depleted the national blood supply.

Every day in the U.S., patients in hospitals and medical centers around the nation need 29,000 units of red blood cells, 5,000 units of platelets, and 6,500 units of plasma. By donating your blood, you are saving the lives of many who need blood whether it be for surgery, cancer treatments, and/or transfusions from traumatic accidents.

Senior Class President Jiwon Song has one message for the student body, “Donate! Donate! Donate! You are saving lives and making an impact in the world.” By giving “students the opportunity to contribute to the world and leave an impact,” Jiwon encourages everyone to donate if they are eligible and feel comfortable doing so.

The food items collected during Spirit Week were dropped off and sorted at Eva’s Village.

Aside from the Blood Drive, the Student Council has been hosting multiple philanthropic initiatives throughout the year. Just recently, a group of Student Council members went to Eva’s Village in Paterson, NJ to bring all collected food items during Spirit Week.

Mr. Turso, Social Studies teacher at Wayne Hills and co-Student Council advisor, shared that the student council’s “goal is to get students to think about giving like this on a routine basis (twice a year).”

Since COVID-19 prevented the blood drive from happening for the last two years, Mr. Turso “want[s] students to change their mindset about taking part in activities like this.”

“It has been a difficult and challenging two years, and everyone has felt isolated and alone, so events like this just remind us that we are coming back from the hard times and about to experience some good stuff.  Simply put the Drive is about hope,” said Mr. Turso.

The Student Council’s goal is to reach the 100-pint mark for donations “which comparatively is a high number when we look at other schools” according to Mr. Turso.

Senior Class Vice-President Jenna Lewis hopes that through hosting this blood drive “students will realize how great the opportunity is to do something beneficial for others.”

If you are planning on donating blood on the day of the Blood Drive, make sure to complete the Google Form posted by your gym teacher. If you are 16 or 17, please also make sure to complete the Parent/Guardian Information, Acknowledgement, and Consent for Minor/Student Donors form.

On the day of the blood drive, donors are advised to drink plenty of fluids and eat a healthy low-fat meal before donating. Upon completing your donation, you will get free cookies, brownies, and beverages.

Donating blood saves lives and helps create a positive change in this world amidst the chaos we see today. Consider making a positive change within our own Wayne Hills community.