Timberview High School Student Shoots and Injures Four

By Eunho Jung, Senior Editor

On Wednesday, October 6, an 18-year-old student opened fire at Timberview High School in Arlington, Texas injuring four individuals.

Around 9:15 AM the Arlington Police received calls about shots fired at the local high school and rushed over to the scene.

Prior to the shooting, a fight broke out between Timothy George Simpkins and another student. A video circulated on social media of the two individuals fighting on the second floor of the school.

Four individuals were injured and three were taken to the hospital. The three individuals are expected to make a speedy recovery. The police department shared that three of the four individuals injured were students.

After all the students were evacuated from the school building, they met with their parents at the reunification spot, the Mansfield ISD’s Center for the Performing Arts.

Student Antonio Holloway said that “[his] teacher actually got shot. He was hurt in the process. It was a fight, and it was very loud outside the class. And another teacher was talking about she needed help handling the fight. My teacher left the classroom to go assist her. A little bit after that, we heard a bunch of shots go off. So everybody in my class, we just turned all the lights off and held the door closed.”

According to officials, Simpkins first ran from the scene but later turned himself in after obtaining an attorney. He was shortly arrested and charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The .45 caliber gun was also recovered.

Simpkin’s family has said they believe Timothy acted out of self-defense, saying he had been robbed and bullied by his peers. His family shared that he had been targeted due to his nice car and expensive clothing. Timothy had purchased a handgun for his own protection, they said.

Kim Cole, a civil rights attorney for the Simpkins family, said, “There are numerous school shootings that have occurred across this country which are tragic. All school shootings are tragic. However, in this situation, this was not someone who was just out to go and shoot a school and had made up their mind [and said,] ‘You know hey I’m upset and I’m just going to shoot anyone I see,” Cole told reporters. “That was not the situation here. So I request the media correct their narrative with regard to what happened, and that you all respect the family’s privacy.”

After posting a $75,000 bond, Timothy returned home to a party thrown by his family. The New York Post shared a photo posted on social media of Timothy smiling with three female companions.

Timberview High School did not have school the following Thursday to allow time for students to heal, officials said.

Wayne Hills Senior Noah Heller shared his thoughts on the matter, saying, “The majority of criminals have suffered from some sort of abuse or trauma over the course of their lives. This can often explain their actions, but it can’t excuse them. A claim of self-defense is laughable and legally indefensible in this instance. Timothy Simpkins should be punished to the fullest extent for his crime.”

In 2021, gun violence is still running rampant. Change is long overdue. Students deserve to feel safe in their learning environment. Society as a whole should work towards creating a better future for current and future students.