Junior Kaitlyn Davies Commits to the University of Florida for D1 Women’s Lacrosse

By Eunho Jung, Assistant Junior Editor

The Class of 2022 of Wayne Hills features some of the most promising athletes Wayne Hills has seen. Arguably, the most promising is Kaitlyn Davies. 

On September 10, 2020, Kaitlyn Davies announced her commitment to the University of Florida for Division 1 Women’s Lacrosse. This certainly was not a surprise to anyone who has been following her journey as an athlete. As a freshman on the varsity Wayne Hills Girls Lacrosse team, she has started as a midfielder every single game, an accomplishment unheard of. Although her high school sophomore season was cut short, she still has high hopes for the 2021 season.

When her high school team is not in session, you can find Davies traveling all around the country with her STEPS elite lacrosse team. Ever since she has joined the team in 5th grade, she has formed life-long friendships with her fellow teammates and learned valuable lessons she will carry with her to Gainesville. STEPS, an acronym for Sportsmanship, Teamwork, Education, Pride, and Success, showcases some of the best lacrosse players in the Northeast area. Their athletes have committed to an array of Ivy-League and Division 1 colleges such as Harvard, Duke, Stanford, Cornell, Yale, etc. In 2020, Kaitlyn and her Class of 2022 Elite Blue team were ranked #7 on the national level. 

“For several years now it has been my goal to be able to attend a large University and play collegiate lacrosse at a high-level,” Davies explained, “Even though I’m really enjoying my high school years in Wayne the next chapter of my life (attending college out-of-state, experiencing new things, and meeting new people from all over the country) is really exciting for me.” 

The University of Florida was only one out of the many schools that were scouting Davies as a potential athlete. When explaining her decision to commit to UF, Davies explained, “After visiting its campus and attending lacrosse camp there last year, I fell in love with the campus at UF. They have a great academic reputation, the campus has an incredible energy, and the weather is beautiful.”

Holding true to its Division 1 status, the University of Florida’s Women’s Lacrosse team is a force to be reckoned with. In 2020, their pre-season was ranked at #8 in the nation. Playing alongside strong veteran athletes such as Shannon Kavanagh and Cara Trombetta, Davies expressed her slight concerns. “I am a little nervous about playing D1 lacrosse with girls I’ve never played with before, but I did play for several days with the Florida players while at their camp last year,” she explains, “They were fun to work with and very willing to teach the younger players.” 

As an avid lover of beaches and warm weather, the University of Florida could not be more of a perfect fit for Davies. Kate LoPresti, fellow Hills teammate and close friend, shared her happiness for Davies. “She’s a star and someone I look up to always. I knew this school was the perfect fit for her, and I could not have been any more happy for her to commit,” LoPresti explains, “Lacrosse is something she loves and makes her happy, and now her dreams are becoming a reality.” 

It is certainly clear Davies has a very bright future ahead of her on both the field and the classroom. Wayne Hills wishes her the best of luck. Go Gators!