Wayne BOE Approves Block Scheduling

Wayne BOE Approves Block Scheduling

By Victoria Balduzzi and Bella Ishak

The 2019 – 2020 School year will be the first to partake in the block scheduling initiative that many surrounding schools have implemented for years. This change was approved on October 19, 2018, at the Wayne BOE meeting. 

The incoming class of 2023 will be the first freshman class to not have a 9 Period Schedule. The following classes have all followed standard scheduling but the freshman of next year will be introduced to something completely different.

“I think that it will take me a while to get used to the new scheduling but after a while, it will just be a normal school day,” said Christopher Balduzzi, a WHHS freshman. “It’ll definitely be a huge change from this year.”

The new schedule will be made up of 7 sessions throughout the day, 6 classes and one lunch, and each session will be 58 minutes with a 54-minute lunch. All students will have the same lunch period but there will be kiosks throughout the school for students to get something to eat.

Students will be allowed to eat wherever they want during lunch periods, such as classrooms, gymnasiums, and the commons. Seniors will be able to leave campus for lunch, following past senior privileges.

In an informal poll of 128 students on The Patriot Press website, 50 percent said they were not happy with block schedule, 34 percent said they’d favor the new schedule and 16 percent said they needed more information.

¨I think that it will be hard to get used to but it’s ok. I´m just worried about getting out of the lot because I´ve seen the way the lot is after school and hope that I will be able to get out in time to have a good lunch,” said Juliana Zampella, a WHHS junior.

There will be three parent meetings regarding the changes and introductions to Wayne Hills in the upcoming school year. The board will also vote on this within the incoming weeks and make a final decision.