Wayne Knights Ice Hockey

The Hills and Valley Ice Hockey Teams will put aside their rivalry and combine to form the Wayne Knights.

By Andrew Topielski, Staff Writer

Wayne Hills high school and Wayne Valley high school are now combining hockey teams. This is a big change, as the team will be called the Wayne Knights. Ever since Coach Angelo Serse had taken over the hockey program at hills, there has been a lot of success. Unfortunately Serse and the Valley coach are not going to be coaching the new team this year. The head coach of the Wayne Knight’s is Joe Belger. Belger was the coach at West Milford. Every winter, everyone is very excited about the rivalry between Wayne Hills and Wayne Valley. Even though there is only one high school hockey team in Wayne now, that does not mean the rivalries will stop. The Knight’s will play Passaic Valley this year on Rivalry Night . The Wayne Knights are ready for the challenge.

“The Wayne Hockey Community is eager to see the product of two prominent high schools competing for one common goal this winter.  What makes the story intriguing is the fact that two rival programs will combine for the benefit of their schools, student-athletes, and community.  Our players have already started work towards a successful season during the summer and early stages of the school year.  The transition to unite and work as one has been smooth and well received by all.  Our goal is to mold young student athletes with the confidence and motivation to be successful on and off the ice. With the support of the students, faculty, administration, friends and family of Wayne Hockey, we look forward to the season as we embark on this new journey together,” said Belger.