March Madness: Analyzing All No. 1 Seeds

Kevin Jairaj - USA TODAY Sports

Josh Jackson (Number 11), is coming off of an injury, but hopes to make a large impact for number one seed Kansas.

By Jack Woodard, Staff Writer

Kevin Jairaj – USA TODAY Sports

March Madness is here and whether you agree or disagree with your team’s seeding, it is locked in. Every analyst is saying that this could be one of the most interesting tournaments we have had in a while and not to count anyone out. This article will break down every 1 and 2 seed and their chances of winning the National Championship.

The number one overall seed and defending National Champion Villanova will look to be the first team since Florida in 2006-2007 to win back to back championships. The Wildcats are led by their three senior captains, Josh Hart, Kris Jenkins, and Darryl Reynolds. Sophomore point guard, Jalen Brunson, is also a key factor to this team winning. The Cats went 28-3 during the regular season and won the Big East regular season as well as the tournament. Villanova is in the East region and the experts are saying this is the hardest one. Other teams include Duke, SMU, Baylor, Wisconsin, Virginia, and Florida. Many are anticipating an Elite Eight matchup between Villanova and Duke, but can Villanova make it that far? They are one of the best shooting teams in the nation, but without the presence of a solid big man, although Reynolds can rack up good rebounding numbers, one off-night of shooting could end their chances of defending their title. This team is experienced and calm in tough games, so never count them out.

In the West region, the number one seed is Gonzaga, and they do not get the respect they deserve. The Zags went 32-1 during the regular season and proved that they are a contender. Many say that they are in a weak conference and cannot compete with good teams. People also say that this team cannot make it past the Elite Eight, but we remember what Villanova did when criticized about how far they could go. This team is loaded with talent and has an amazing center in the 7’1, 300 pound Przemek Karnowski. Nigel Williams-Goss is a solid point guard and Gonzaga in the easiest region. The only other tough team in this bracket is Arizona, and the Zags beat the Wildcats earlier in the year. Fans cannot look past this tough Gonzaga team.
In the Midwest region, the number one seed is Kansas, and this team will not only look to get back to the Elite Eight, but go even further this year. Kansas may have some trouble doing this, however, because one of their star players, Josh Jackson, has been the center of much controversy over the past week. The team will need to look past this and focus on their play. Kansas has many experienced players such as Frank Mason III, Svi Mykhailiuk, and Devonte’ Graham. The Jayhawks will have their work cut out for them as Purdue, Louisville, and red-hot Michigan are in their region. Kansas will come in with a chip on their shoulder as they lost their last game in the Big 12 quarterfinals. The four loss Jayhawks are the champions on many people’s brackets.

The last one seed is North Carolina, and they have a lot to prove. Many thought they should not have been given a one seed as they lost in the ACC Tournament and have seven losses. The Tarheels will also look to avenge probably the biggest heartbreak loss ever in last years loss to Villanova on a buzzer beater in the National Championship. This squad is very deep and can put up great rebounding numbers with 8 players over 6’6. Kennedy Meeks leads this team and is one of the best centers in the nation. North Carolina also has UCLA, Kentucky, and Butler in their bracket.

“All of these one seeds are capable of winning the whole thing. I think Gonzaga probably has the worst chances, but don’t count anyone out. These regions are tough and it won’t be easy, but these teams can truly show how good they are by getting through their regions,” said freshman Mike Joyce.

As the madness begins, can one of these teams can finish the season champions, or will a lower seed have their “One Shining Moment?”