Mascaro is February’s Teacher of the Month

By Seth Friedman, Staff Writer

Wayne Hills math teacher and cheerleading coach Amanda Mascaro was the Teacher of the Month for February.

The student and teacher of the month awards are given out by the Wayne Hills Climate Team, which is organized by Donna King, the school’s Student Assistance Coordinator.  They find teachers and students who go above and beyond what is the normal standard for teachers and students.  Along with going above and beyond, students are given this award based on six pillars: respect, responsibility, fairness, trustworthiness, caring, and citizenship.

Mascaro, an alumni of Hills, has three things that she wants everyone to know about her.  First, she loves coaching cheerleading  for both the football team and competition cheer.  Next, she loves reality TV and even admits to watching too much of it.  Finally, she truly loves teaching math at her alma-mater.

“Often your students only see you as a teacher in the building,” said Mascaro. ” It was nice to be able to allow them to know a little more about my life outside of the building,” she adds.

Mascaro did not always want to be a teacher.  But, when she was a student, she taught her Pre-Calculus class a lesson for extra credit and was told how well she explained the concepts.  She was so comfortable in front of the class and it felt natural for her to help her peers learn starting her teaching career.

Many of the cheerleaders speak highly of her commenting on her encouragement, dedication, and how she brings the team together as a family.  

Finally, she has one piece of advice for students, and that is to be nice to all teachers in the building because you never know who will be your teacher next year!

“I had a great experience with cheer and can’t wait until next season,” said Gianna Petruccelli, a junior.