NBA Season Begins

NBA TNT

A big part of the Spurs beating the Warriors was Jonathan Simmons, pictured here blocking reigning MVP Stephen Curry.

By Jack Woodard, Staff Writer

The NBA is back and as exciting as always.  For those wondering how the Cavaliers would do coming off of a championship season, they came out of the gate firing on all cylinders.  On opening night Cleveland throttled the Knicks by a score of 117-88.  Kyrie Irving led the way in the points department for the Cavaliers with 29 points and Kevin Love had 23 points and 12 rebounds.  LeBron James recorded his 43rd career triple-double, and his first in a season opener, with 19 points, 11 rebounds, and 14 assists.  As for the Knicks, their scoring was not as impressive.  Carmelo Anthony led his team with 19 points, Derrick Rose had 17 and Kristaps Porzingis 16.  This was not the start that Knick fans were looking for, but then again, they did play the defending NBA Champions.

In other action on Opening Night, The Spurs defeated the team that NBA fans expected the most from, the Warriors.  San Antonio won the game in Golden State 129-100.  This final score left Warrior fans shocked and upset.  After having the best record in the history of the NBA last year, the Warriors find themselves below .500.  Kevin Durant, the new addition to the Warriors, had 27 points and 10 rebounds.  Steph Curry, despite having 26 points, was only 3 of 10 from beyond the arc and Klay Thompson only put up 11 points.  The Spurs, however, will have a spring in their step after defeating the favorites to be crowned NBA Champs this season.  Kawhi Leonard scored a career-high 35 points in the win.  The Spurs outrebounded the Warriors 55 to 35, which is a number that has to change if Golden State wants to have a successful season.  

The next night opened up with the Nuggets taking on the Pelicans.  Anthony Davis had 50 points and 16 rebounds in this game, and his team still ended up losing the game.  The Nuggets won this one 107-102.  While that game was being played, the Thunder and 76ers battled it out in Philadelphia.  This game was closer than some people thought as the Thunder ended up pulling away for the 103-97 win.  The Thunder struggled with not having Kevin Durant on the team anymore, but credit must be given to the 76ers for playing a tough game.  

The most talked about game after the first two nights was the Warriors-Spurs one.   It seemed that the Warriors wins came fairly easy last year, but now the fans in Oakland are shocked and upset after the big loss.  

Jonah Carleton, a freshman, said “After the opening night loss for the Warriors, the NBA world was shocked. I feel that this loss will motivate the team to play as hard as they can every night now, and not take any team for granted.  The Warriors greatly lack rim protection, which is very important in today’s NBA.  The Warriors are a 63 to 69 win team this year because of chemistry problems and injuries are always possible.”

This season fans could be in for many surprises but one thing is certain, it surely will be an interesting NBA season.