Lack of Freshmen in Student Government

By Eddie Brim, Staff Writer

The new freshman in WHHS recently had their student elections, but not many people ran. This is surprising because being the president of your high school class shines on a college application. Maybe the new students just don’t realize this or maybe they are just overwhelmed trying to get in the swing of high school. “I think nobody ran for student council because of the lack of confidence. Being introduced to new people and a new school stopped some kids from running because they realized they didn’t actually know who the kids in the crowd were. Also, I think kids are afraid of embarrassing themselves in front of an entire auditorium full of people,” explained freshman Matt Zimmerman. This was an interesting point because you get to know people by running. If you run, everyone would get to know who you are.

It’s still bizarre that more people didn’t run because most have older siblings who could tell them something about it. “It’s the responsibility factor. Kids in high school already have so much responsibility such as homework, and sports, this must make some students shy away from getting too involved to the point where they can’t handle everything.” This is most likely the main reason people aren’t running for student council, because high school is a big commitment and as a freshman trying to get in the know on high school have even more on their plate. It will be interesting to see if more students run next school year after they have a year of high school under their belts.