Clinton Emerges Victorious in First Presidential Debate

By Shivi Chauhan, Sophomore Editor

Millions of Americans remained glued to their television screens last Monday, watching their two presidential candidates battle it out in the first debate of this election season at Hofstra University. The tension was palpable, there’s no doubt the majority of America is dissatisfied with the two front runners to the White House. This first debate always remains crucial in cementing the public’s interpretation of each candidate. The victor also gets a head-up in the polls, which is especially significant in this year’s election. According to CNN, The Washington Post, NPR, and yours truly, Hillary Clinton emerged victorious this Monday night, and continues to lead in the polls.

Hillary’s leg-up in the debate began with her subtle intimidation technique. Intimidating your opponent has been a significant part of presidential debates ever since Nixon and Kennedy faced off in the first televised debate in 1960. Kennedy, who was said to have won the debate, intimidated Nixon by pretending to not know who he was beforehand. Nixon was frustrated, as he and Kennedy had worked together in Congress for many years, which threw him off his game. Hillary performed a tactic similar to Kennedy’s. Throughout the debate, she referred to her opponent as Donald, while he referred to her as Secretary Clinton (and don’t tell me it’s because he respects her and her previous role in the government, everyone knows Trump’s track record with respecting women is weaker than his policies). Her referral of him by his first name could be interpreted as her lack of respect for him, and how she was almost talking-down to him. The split-screen also revealed Hillary to be  laughing whenever Donald Trump spoke, which clearly angered him. He began to raise his voice slightly and it was blatant that he was infuriated.

Hillary also left more of an impression with the younger demographic Monday night. Her little “shimmy” after Trump’s claim that her temperament was much worse than his resonated so much with voters, a song was even made about it. Telegraph.co.uk went as far as to say the “Hillary Shimmy” was THE next viral dance move. Trump continually interrupted Clinton with one word: “wrong.” At one point in the debate, Hillary looked straight into the camera, clearly exasperated. This triggered internet memes and posts comparing Hillary to characters on The Office. The “Hillary Shimmy” song goes, “He keeps on shouting, ‘wrong,’ so I’m gonna get my Jim Halpert on,” as the character Jim Halpert was notorious for looking straight into the camera on The Office.

Overall, Clinton’s characteristic preparedness and grooming as a politician prompted her victory over her unqualified, pompous, and rather controversial opponent, Donald Trump. Hillary emerged to be the more qualified and presidential candidate at the conclusion of Monday night’s debate.