North Korea Becoming a Bigger Threat

By Zach Miller, Staff Writer

North Korea has been seen as a small and powerless target for many countries around the world. They aren’t one of the top most powerful countries around the world. The size of their country is laughed at and their leader is never taken seriously by anyone other than his own people. But recent reports say that North Korea has somehow grown into a bigger nation that is more powerful than ever, and it keeps on growing. Senator Bob Corker, who is Chairman of the senate foreign relations committee, says it is time to get serious about North Korea and the Kim Jong-un Regime. China has been supporting North Korea which raises questions about trust between the US and China. As of 2016, North Korea is planning on having missile launch along with their 4th nuclear missile test. The nuclear test shows that North Korea is advancing in technology, North Korea has even shown their weapons of mass destruction.

The United States senate will be joining the house of representatives in passing a legislation that will send a strong message to the US president. The senate says that North Korea is now one of the biggest threats to US national Security and our current actions with North Korea is a failure. The North Korea sanctions and the Policy Enhancement act will provide the executive branch with more vigorous set of policy to confront the North Korean threat. The Obama administration will conduct an investigation on exposing countries who follow North Korea’s human rights abuses, weapons of mass destruction, and cyber activities.

Secretary of State John Kerry visited China to discuss what China and the United States have as a goals; to denuclearize the Korean peninsula and study the North Korean economy and trade. China says they are not completely worried about North Korea and will spend little time observing them. As for the United States, North Korea isn’t seen as a threat at all. WHHS student David Saunders says “North Korea is one of the most laughable countries on earth mainly because of Kim Jong-un’s so-called ‘threats’.” North Korea has recently launched a satellite that was considered as suspicious activity but it is not considered as a huge threat as of right now. However, North Korea will be monitered.