Influenza Take Over

Mrs. Ventimiglia blowing a tissue.

By Sofia Wunej, Staff Writer

The flu is taking over and students are dropping like flies (metaphorically of course).

As winter approaches and temperatures drop students are more likely to get sick. The most common among these sicknesses is influenza or the flu. CDC estimates that from 2010 to 2020, flu resulted in between 9 million and 41 million illnesses annually in the United States. 

I had the flu recently and can confidently say that it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was confined to my bed for a week not being able to stand for more than a minute because of the body aches. I would recommend students wash their hands as often as they can and cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze.

Symptoms are the flu is fever or chills, cough, fatigue, body aches, headaches, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, diarrhea or vomiting discomfort, and weakness. 

Senior Kaitlyn Cooper said, “Hard pass on students coming to school sick, they should be home recovering from the sickness so that they can do their work to the best of their abilities when they get back!”

Since Thanksgiving break, there have been around one hundred ten cases of influenza reported in the Wayne school district. Wayne Township Public Schools writes, “To reduce the spread of flu, RSV, COVID-19, and other illnesses in school, we ask that you keep your child home if they are experiencing symptoms of illness, especially those listed below… Individuals with sudden fever and respiratory illness symptoms will be sent home with instructions to stay at home in accordance with the NJDOH school exclusion criteria, and until fever free for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication.” It is clear that Wayne Township Public Schools are trying to take the necessary precautions to stop the spread of this virus. 

Ms. Ventimiglia a vice principal here at Wayne Hills has recently had the flu she advises students to “Stay safe the experience was pretty rough. Make sure to be taking precautions like washing your hands and drinking lots of water.” 

Stay safe, Wayne Hills!