Speaker Of The House, Nancy Pelosi’s Husband Attacked

By Anzor Mustafa, Staff Writer

The home of Nancy Pelosi, the current Speaker Of The House, was invaded by a man looking for her on the morning of October 28. Attacking her husband with a hammer, he left Paul Pelosi with a fractured skull and in critical care.

The GOP’s hatred for Nancy Pelosi is large and great. Throughout the years, Republicans have blamed Pelosi for various issues facing Americans. Explemified by the attack at the Capitol on January 6th, 2021, where right-wing extremists were shouting “Where’s Nancy?” with the intent of harming her.

The suspect– who police later identified as David DePape, broke into the couple’s San Francisco home and shouted, “Where’s Nancy?” Starking similar to the shouts of pro-trump fascists that raided the Capitol and screamed, “All we want is Pelosi.”

Her husband immediately underwent emergency surgery for a skull fracture and injuries to his right arm and hand. Doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

This only signifies the current atmosphere of politics, and where politics is heading. Political violence is increasing at a rapid rate. Many people holding public office are facing death threats and violence. Congresswoman Alexandria Osocia Cortez stated that she faces death threats on a daily basis.

Sophomore Natalie Lewis noted, “I think we live in an extremely divided country right now. Also, a post-January 6th America, where fascism has been normalized and often times rewarded. For this to stop we need to reconsider the entire system as a whole and why so many corrupt people are in power.” Lewis said, “It’s a clear attack on democracy.”

The suspect is being charged with attempted murder. He was on a suicide mission, threatening to kneecap Nancy Pelosi, and “hunt down” other public officials. DePape is currently being held at the San Francisco County Jail and faces 13 years in prison if found guilty.

In the past, he has spread antisemitic conspiracy theories; one of them being holocaust denial.  Additionally, blogs with hateful screeds about  Jewish people, Black people, Democrats, the media, and transgender people.

Nancy Pelosi said, “The Pelosi family is thankful for the beautiful outpouring of love, support, and prayers from around the world.” She went on to say, “Paul remains under doctors’ care as he continues to progress on a long recovery process… He is now home.”