Wayne Hills Students Share Their Backpack Essentials

By Mia Rivera and Riya Kachroo

What do students carry in their backpacks every day?

Well, that’s a question that differs from student to student. While some students are the more prepared organized type, other students have a more spontaneous approach to what arrives with them to school.  From chromebooks to dog bones to wallet robberies, here is what the students of Wayne Hills bring to school. 

Out of the four grades, the seniors had the most to stay about what they brought to school. While most people had the more common items, such as senior Ava Periera with her “pencil case with all my essentials, planner to keep track of everything, homework, hand sanitizer, chapstick, gum, binder, chromebook, and keys,” other people had more whimsical objects. 

Senior Bradley Galambos said that he enjoys carrying “egg bagels with strawberry cream cheese, chromebook, residential fryer, just food. It gets me through school pretty good. Also a lot of money. Keys. One pencil. Some days I do, some days I don’t. Usually when I open it, everything just explodes out.” This senior enjoys carrying the typical daily objects such as pencils and keys but also likes carrying a variety of things that allow him to snack throughout the day. 

Other seniors take a more minimalist approach, such as Steel Chlasick who when asked what he brings to school replied with only the word “wallet.” 

When discussing the importance of bringing her wallet to school, senior Erin Durot told her “traumatic” story. She said “Would be my debit card, but it got stolen at McDonalds in vermont. It got swiped and they venomed someone $5. So not that.” Keep your bags secure! 

The junior class carries simple and very minimal things with them in their backpacks. Not really focusing on the “supplies”, Phaedra Quilter carries “hand sanitizer and gum.” She is a germaphobe and is constantly reapplying her hand sanitizer and offering it to others. Phaedra is always there to share her essentials! 

Junior Ava Rewick likes to focus on her studies but needs to carry her girly essentials as well. She needs, “chapstick, all my books, my chromebook and water bottle.” Ava has a little bit of everything in her bag to make sure she is ready to tackle on her day!

The sophomore class also had a lot to say about their backpack essentials. Again, some of the students were more organized while others liked to be surprised by what was in their bags when they reached school. 

When asked about his backpack essentials, sophomore Johnny Grant said how “sentimental” what he keeps in his bag is to him. He replied with “A picture of my girlfriend with a love letter for her, student ID, cleats, cheez wiz, flowers, baked beans, dog bone in case I get bored, and 5 pound dumbbells.” The sophomore carries some more typical items, but also items to keep him busy, active, and always thinking about his girlfriend.

Sophomore Emma Rivera said she likes to keep an “Eyelash curler, makeup wipes, notebook, lunch, cheer bag.” This sophomore carries only the “basic necessities” but said she “likes to feel prepared at all times.” 

Even with the freshman being new to the school this year, they definitely fill up their backpacks with their favorite essentials. Freshman Nolan Kahrar has to carry around with him, “chapstick, airpods, and cookies.” He is simple and only carries what a boy really needs to get him through his day