Post-Roe v. Wade America: Abortion Bans Take Effect

Ms.Logothetis, current Human Rights, Contemporary Issues, and APUSH teacher

By Anzor Mustafa, Staff Writer

In post-Roe v. Wade America, many states are moving to ban abortion altogether.

On June 24th, the U.S. Supreme Court Roe v. Wade. Roe v. Wade was the historic case that protected abortion on a federal. Now with no protection, the abortion debate will be handed off to the state level.

This June Ms. Logothetis’s Contemporary Issue’s class discussed Roe v. Wade being overturned. Classmates talk about their various opinions and concerns. The consequences of that event are being manifested in the country today.

Tennessee, Idaho, and Texas have banned abortion, some without expectations for rape and incest. Texas is even more strict by punishing people who perform abortions too. Sophomore Angie Vera said, “The abortion bans will only be a domino effect.”

Since the recent Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the conversation around abortion access has been discussed around the country. Many Americans question what reproductive healthcare will look like in the future, especially in more conservative states. Now, it looks like many women in America are getting their answer.

On Thursday, August 25, Tennessee banned abortions with no exceptions for rape and incest. The Human Life Protection is only one of three so-called “trigger bans.” Pro-life groups have been waiting for this day to come for many years now. Planned Parenthood clinics in Tennessee quickly shut down after Roe v. Wade: the Supreme Court ruling protecting abortion on a federal level was overturned.

Texans who perform abortions now face up to life in prison and a $100,000 fine. Citizens are even incentivized to report to the police if they know someone who has. Junior Jasmine Kline discusses abortion, “Personally, I think abortions should be more restricted.”

Similarly, Idaho has banned abortion from conception. The Biden administration convinced a federal judge to block the portion that criminalized abortions when a woman’s life was in danger. Other states like Abalama, Ohio, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, and more have banned abortion. Indiana’s abortion bans already took effect yesterday, September 15th.

As pro-life states continue to impose anti-abortion laws America grows more divided. As some groups celebrate, others are mourning.