What is Jazz Band?

Band+Lessons

Band Lessons

By Emily Kozak and Jieun Paik

Interested in learning a new instrument? Enjoy other kinds of music than the kind on the radio? Want to spice up your music taste?

Jazz Band is one of the Wayne Hills Schools bands which you should try out! It’s currently a Wayne Hills after-school program.

The instruments used are Alto saxophones, Tenor Saxophones, Trombones, Bass Trombones, and Trumpets.

“Jazz band is very enjoyable to both the audience and the players,” says Sophomore Janae Murray, who plays the saxophone.

Jazz Band is an old style of music which is also a very groovy style of music. It Is different from conventional because it has a distinctive folk-like style. It’s very adaptable to very different styles of play. In Jazz Band, there’s a lot of improved solos that the players do. Anyone can really get into Jazz if you play the instruments above. Jazz is also one of the first American art forms and originates from African folk dances. Jazz Band is open to students in grades 9-12. It can help you improvise, be confident in playing your instrument, and even learn an instrument!

Jazz Band performing at a photo gallery

“People should join Jazz Band because it gives them experience with many genres of music and helps them learn new people,” says Sophomore Radha Pingle, who plays Tenor saxophone.

“I recommend that anyone who is willing to try an instrument to do Jazz band,” says Sophomore Janae Murray.

“You should join the Jazz band because it’s open to different styles and anyone can get into it,” says Sophomore Brandon Huang, who plays trumpet.

Apart from learning music and playing as a band, students also perform for family and friends. While there isn’t a date set for the performance, Wayne Hills cheers on Jazz Band performers!