Eighth Graders Visit Hills for Orientation

By Nick Tulino and Ritik Naik

High school can be a difficult and confusing transition for Eighth grade students. To help them along their way, WHHS teachers and upperclassmen took them on a tour of the school on Wednesday, January 7th. The event started in the auditorium and the future class of 2020 were lectured by Principal Maureen Weir, Vice Principal Edward Zambrano, and more. Speakers highlighted clubs and sports available and stressed the idea of getting involved in extracurricular activities.

Students were then guided through the halls by upperclassmen in the student council program, giving them insight on what the courses are like. The night was ended with free snacks for everyone there. The Eighth graders greatly appreciated the effort by the school with Schuyler-Colfax Eighth grader Ricky Wallert stating “This was a great introduction into Wayne Hills. The students and teachers all seem nice and I can’t wait until next September.”

It is not just the class of 2020 that benefited from these orientations though. The WHHS community puts the event together every year to make future students feel more welcomed. “The orientation is great. It really helped me when I went and it’ll help all the upcoming Freshmen. It shows new students some of what Wayne Hills has to offer like all their classes and sports,” said Freshman Brian Peschel.  The WHHS community is looking forward to having the class of 2020 entering the school next year.