First Meeting of the GSA Club

By Maddie Galesi, Staff Writer

Throughout September and early October, many clubs have held their first in-person meetings. The GSA club held its first meeting Friday, October 15th in room 155.

President Lizzy Boulos does a fantastic job engaging new members and explaining what the club stands for. 

The Gender Sexuality Alliance is a  safe space meant to celebrate and uplift the LGBTQIA+ community and learn about LGBTQIA+ advocacy and history. 

The first ice-breaking activity had each member say one word they felt represented the LGBTQIA+ community. Some words heard were community, inclusivity, acceptance, non-conformity, happiness, and support. 

The second activity had groups come up with their own movie idea and Lizzie decided on their favorite.

The group also talked about more serious issues relating to the LGBTQIA+ in society and even in our own school district. 

Junior Hanna Hajdu says, “I have known about the club since freshman year, but I wasn’t very open about my sexuality and my identity until last year. That’s when I realized I wanted to get involved. I’m just super excited to be here.” 

President Lizzy Boulos says, “I was approached about being co-president. I have known about it since freshman year, I was planning on joining sophomore year and then it kind of fell apart. I was really open about being president because I am comfortable with my sexuality so I’m really happy it started.” 

Make sure to catch the next GSA meeting during lunch next Friday!