Plans For The Unique 2020 Holiday Season

By Sasha Abramsky, Staff Writer

Even though 2020 has been a rollercoaster of different events and emotions, just the thoughts of the upcoming holiday season are bringing joy to everyone’s lives.  No matter what holiday you celebrate, 2020 is sure to be different than any other.

“Celebrating virtually or with members of your own household (who are consistently taking measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19) poses the lowest risk for spread”, recommends the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. “Organizers and attendees of larger events should consider the risk of virus spread based on event size (number of attendees and other factors) and take steps to reduce the possibility of infection”, continues the article. According to the CDC, we can still celebrate the holiday season despite the pandemic, but it just means we have to take into consideration the guidelines and rules to maintain our safety and health.

The CDC also advises people to avoid traveling and going to public places. The article also talks about limiting the duration of parties and not stay inside for too long.

We were planning to have a large family gathering for Hanukkah, but now due to the circumstances we will only be having our closest relatives over. For New Years, we would usually have a huge party, but we are not sure what the plan is since health officials advise us to stay home during these uncertain times” states freshman Arielle Rabukhin.

“For thanksgiving we are planning to have a little ‘friendsgiving’ and have a competition on who makes the best thanksgiving themed dish. During winter break, I am planning to try to learn how to ski or snowboard as well as to go see the Rockefeller tree in New York City with one of my friends. We would usually go to a Christmas party, but now that is not possible because of the pandemic.” said ninth-grader Isabella Bernier.