The Boy Scouts File for Bankruptcy

The Boy Scouts File for Bankruptcy

By Afi Ibragimov, Staff Writer

The Boy Scouts of America filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy on February 18  after thousands of men admitted to being sexually harassed when they were former boy scouts. 

The allegations of sexual assault began well before the organization filed for bankruptcy. 

From 2017 to 2019, the organization claimed to have paid roughly $150 million in settlement fees and legal costs to repay those impacted during their childhood as boy scouts. Thus the Boy Scouts decided to claim bankruptcy this year in pursuit to save the organization.

The organization claims that the aim of the bankruptcy is to compensate for all the victims’ traumatic experiences by funding a Victim Compensation Trust to account for damages and legal fees.

However, this trust might not be enough to cover all costs. According to USA Today, the Boy Scouts own more than $1 billion dollars in assets and might be forced to sell some of their most expensive properties in order to pay their victims.

Critics argue that filing bankruptcy allows the nonprofit to actually pay less homage to its victims than they would have paid outside of bankruptcy. 

Others argue that by owning up to its mistakes, the nonprofit can become financially stable and save its public image. 

Many are questioning what will happen to the organization and whether it can be revived. 

“The right thing for the Boy Scouts [to do is] to disappear,”especially after years of sexual abuse towards its members and failing to meet the basic moral code the organization swears on, says Jaworksi, the business ethicist. 

“It’s sad to see the organization suffering so much. Hopefully, they’ll come back stronger and keep the Boy Scout tradition alive” comments sophomore Mario Iannelli.