The $1,000-check-a-day Candidate Ends His Campaign

By Sophia Kim, Staff Writer

On February 11th, when a certain presidential candidate was standing on a podium, crowds of people were anxiously waiting for what he had to say.

“I am the math guy, and it’s clear from the numbers we’re not going to win this campaign,” said Andrew Yang, an American entrepreneur who was a presidential candidate for the 2020 US Presidential Election.  As his crowd of supporters looked at him desperately, he announced, “So tonight I’m announcing that I am suspending my campaign.”

After failure of winning pledged delegates in the Iowa caucus and the disappointment from the New Hampshire primary, Mr. Yang announced that there would be no point in accepting resources and donations “in a race we will not win.”

Yang was born in an household with Taiwanese immigrants as parents. In 217, he became part of a small, half-dozen group of other Asian Americans who ran for president. He was a forerunner for Asian-Americans and inspired them by confronting racism and addressing its issues.

Yang was most famous for his promise of giving every U.S. citizen aged 18 years or older Universal Basic Income (UBI), or $1,000 a month. This was initially an idea proposed by Martin Luther King Jr.

Andrew Yang was the first candidate to focus on the fears and growing concerns of automation, and talk about it within a regular basis. He was focused with American economy, and the financial well-being of its citizens. However, being an entrepreneur, he did not have much to say about foreign policy since he is less experienced in this field.

Though his proposal seemed to be a good idea, people are still speculative about it. How would we pay for this Universal Basic Income?

“We are already so much in debt,” says Irene Hwang, a Wayne Hills student who is unsure of the idea of a UBI. “The idea sounds nice, but I think we should also worry about our debt.”

There is also the idea that $1,000 itself is not adequate for people to live. According to Living Wage Calculator by MIT, in Passaic County, NJ, costs of food for one adult could cost up to $3,477 a year. Medical care could cost about $2,737, transportation approximately $3,893, and housing which is on average $14,952.

People cannot just expect to live off of the UBI– they would need to have a job as well.

Though there is wide speculation on such, what caught Yang’s supporters, consisting of a majority of Millenials, was his constant concern with the fates of citizens during the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

So what happens now that he’s no longer campaigning?

Yang is not sure, though he suggests that he may either become another candidate’s running mate or join the presidential Cabinet. He has not decided if he would endorse other campaigns either unless he gets “persuaded that there’s a particular candidate that gives us a superior chance of beating Donald Trump.”

One thing for sure is that Yang is not completely gone; he will still be working to fight for what he believes in.

Watch the video to see what happened: