Marie Yovanovitch Testifies in Second Public Impeachment Probe Hearing

By Jimmy He, Senior Editor

Former Ukrainian Ambassador Marie L. Yovanovitch testified in front of the House Intelligence Committee the morning of November 15th as part of the second public impeachment hearing in the recent string of witnesses presenting their accounts concerning President Trump’s Ukrainian scandal.

After being discredited earlier in March and removed from her ambassador position after a smear campaign orchestrated by Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, Yovonovitch commented on her three decades serving as part of the US diplomatic corps and the extent of her anti-corruption work in Ukraine.

Yovanovitch was a topic of conversation and called “bad news” in the president’s infamous call with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky back in July, where he also discussed withholding military aid in exchange for information about Trump’s political rivals.

“How could our system fail like this?” Yovanovitch questioned in her opening statement concerning US political corruption, “How is it that foreign corrupt interests could manipulate our government?”

During Yovanovitch’s testimony, President Trump tweeted statements including “Everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad” and “It is a U.S. President’s absolute right to appoint ambassadors.”

Yovanovitch was asked to comment on the president’s tweets in real-time, to which she replied that they were “very intimidating.”

While Yovanovitch later agreed that the president has the right to appoint and remove ambassadors at his own discretion, she questioned whether it was necessary for Trump to attack her personal reputation as an ambassador before doing so.

On the other hand, Republicans avoided any personal attacks on Yovonovitch, instead emphasizing that her experiences had no real bearing on the impeachment probe and whether or not the president committed any high crimes or misdemeanors.

Yovanovitch was “not a material fact witness to any of the allegations that are being hurled at the president,” said California representative and lead on the Republican panel Devin Nunes. Nunes, along with many other Republicans, stressed that her removal did not have any major effect on American policies and did not permanently damage her career.

We interviewed some Wayne Hills students on the current state of the impeachment probe.

“I don’t think he’s going to get impeached. They have a good case for it but I don’t think so,” says Senior Hailey Montanaro, “Since he’s the president he’s going to circumvent Congress and nobody’s going to be able to do anything about it. I wish, but I don’t think so.”

“The government should hold him responsible for what he does,” added Senior Ashlynn Kim.

Impeachment hearings will continue throughout the rest of November, including testimonies from many other government officials including the former top Russia expert on the national security council, Fiona Hill, and David Holmes, an aid in the United States Embassy in Kyiv.