Benefit Will be Held at Wayne Hills to Support the Family of Halainah Napolitano

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Luke Kaplan and Yulieanna Sim

A benefit for the family of an 11-year-old girl who died suddenly in February will be held tomorrow evening on Saturday, April 6 here at Hills.

“This is such a heartbreaking thing to hear. It makes me feel really bad for her family and my prayers go out to them,” says sophomore Jenna Ettman.

Shortly after she became ill with a fever, doctors treated her with flu medicine, as the symptoms were very similar. However, tests and x-rays showed she did not have the flu or any problems in her left shoulder, though she was in pain.

The pain only worsened, so her family took her to the emergency room where doctors discovered that she had developed sepsis,  a virus that entered her bloodstream and ultimately affected her heart. She was unable to be stabilized after numerous tries due to her young age. She died ‘suddenly’ and ‘unexpectedly.’

In response to the tragedy, the community banded together, raising $20,000 in less than 24 hours on a GoFundMe created by her mother Deanna in order to cover the cost of her funeral expenses.

A benefit will be held in efforts to help raise money and offer her family support during this tough time. It will take place in the Wayne Hills auditorium on this Saturday, April 6th at 5:50 pm.

About the Writers
Luke Kaplan, Staff Writer

Luke Kaplan is a Sophomore at Hills who has been a member of the Patriot Press since September 2018. He plays baseball during the fall and spring, and...

Yulieanna Sim, Staff Writer

Yulieanna Sim is a sophomore at Wayne Hills and has just recently joined the Patriot Press in September 2018. She swims on the Hills team and a club team...