Students React to Super Bowl 53 Commercials

By Luke Kaplan, Staff Writer

Between the game and the extravagant halftime show, it is easy to overlook many of the incredible commercials that air during the Super Bowl. Some of the best commercials this year were produced by brands like Bud Lite, Doritos, Amazon, M&Ms, Hyundai, Pepsi, and even the NFL.

Out of all the commercials, the clear fan favorite was a commercial advertising the Amazon Alexa. The commercial featured Harrison Ford and his adorable Boston Terrier. In the commercial, an Amazon employee was recapping some of the worst Alexa innovations, including an Alexa dog collar that could understand a dog’s barks.

The NFL commemorated its 100 year anniversary with a commercial featuring former and current football players including Joe Montana, Saquon Barkley, and Peyton Manning. “My favorite was the one with all the football players. It was cool to see all the young and old football players in a room together,” remarked sophomore Duru Ozcan.

Another intriguing commercial unveiled a new M&M chocolate bar through a humorous skit with the iconic red and yellow animated M&Ms. “I liked the M&M’s commercial because it was funny and it makes me want to try the new M&M chocolate bar,” sophomore Alyssa Wisely said.

Bud Lite made a smart move by including one of the most popular shows on television, Game of Thrones, in their commercial. “I liked the Bud Lite one because it combined Bud Lite with Game of Thrones which relates to their well-known slogan ‘Dilly Dilly.'”

Overall, the students agreed that there were a few stand-out commercials, but the entertaining ones were too few and far between.