SDA Collects Clothes for Foster Families

By Luke Kaplan and Yulieanna Sim

The Student Dance Association (SDA) recently donated more than 800 pieces of clothing to foster and adoptive children in Passaic County through the Court Appointed Special Advocates, or CASA.

SDA, which presents its annual show later this month, initially participated in the donation as a  competition between their two teams, white and maroon, to see what team could collect more articles of clothing for their fundraiser.

This was the first year SDA collected items for CASA but other collections, like food or cans, have been done in the past, according to Christina Kindler, SDA Adviser.

“Each member of SDA brought in multiple items of either hats, gloves, or scarves,” said Maroon Jazz Captain Elise Dejewski.

Although the white team earned an extra point by collecting the most clothing items, Kindler said “I would like to focus more on the fact that we collected more than 800 pieces and it was really more about how many pieces we collected rather than who won so to speak.”

The two teams noted that the feeling that came with giving back was far more rewarding than receiving an extra point. “It felt really good giving back and seeing the kids with the hats, gloves, and mittens looking really happy, said “White Pom Captain Bella DiCarlo. commented.

About the Writers
Luke Kaplan, Staff Writer

Luke Kaplan is a Sophomore at Hills who has been a member of the Patriot Press since September 2018. He plays baseball during the fall and spring, and...

Yulieanna Sim, Staff Writer

Yulieanna Sim is a sophomore at Wayne Hills and has just recently joined the Patriot Press in September 2018. She swims on the Hills team and a club team...