Is Kareem Hunt’s Career Over?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Kareem Hunt’s Career Over?

KANSAS CITY, MO - DECEMBER 24: Running back Kareem Hunt #27 of the Kansas City Chiefs runs to the sidelines just before kickoff in the game against the Miami Dolphins at Arrowhead Stadium on December 24, 2017 in Kansas City, Missouri. ( Photo by Jason Hanna/Getty Images )

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

By Luke Kaplan and Yulieanna Sim

Star running back for the 10-2 Kansas City Chiefs, Kareem Hunt, was released on November 30 after a video of domestic abuse was posted by TMZ Sports.

The video depicted Hunt pushing and kicking a woman at a hotel in Cleveland on February 10.

“Honestly, I just want to let the world know how sorry I am for my actions,” Hunt said. “It’s been a tough time for me, and I’m extremely embarrassed because of that video,” apologizes Hunt.

At the time of his release, Hunt had the fifth-most rushing yards in the league and had 1327 yards as the NFL’s leading rusher as a rookie last year. He was also placed on the Commissioner Exempt list meaning he can not practice, play or attend games with any NFL team.

This is not the first time where domestic abuse has had a negative impact on a star football player’s their career. Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys star running back, was suspended six games last year for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy for abusing his ex-girlfriend.

“When you start looking down the road, you can kind of get bogged down. Just make sure you focus on the day to day and doing better day to day and things are going to work themselves out,” Elliot advises Hunt.

As for the Chiefs, who are potential Super Bowl contenders, “[Kareem Hunt’s absence will hurt] because he is an impact player on the team, and he definitely powers the offense,” Dan Daly remarked.

“Everything depends on what happens in court. If he’s able to not go to jail then I still think that he’s such a good player that he has a chance in playing again,” sophomore Jake Grosjean remarked.

If not for his inhumane actions off the field, Kareem Hunt would have certainly had a bright future and successful career, but now this has all been put into question.

About the Writers
Luke Kaplan, Staff Writer

Luke Kaplan is a Sophomore at Hills who has been a member of the Patriot Press since September 2018. He plays baseball during the fall and spring, and...

Yulieanna Sim, Staff Writer

Yulieanna Sim is a sophomore at Wayne Hills and has just recently joined the Patriot Press in September 2018. She swims on the Hills team and a club team...