Startling Increase in School violence threats towards New Jersey Schools Reported

Back to Article
Back to Article

Threats of violence in schools doubled according to an NJ Advance Media 2017-18 report. The unsettling news pertaining to the suspicious statistics rose quite a few eyebrows from the students and staff of WHHS.

“I think security at school is planning to fail. If we want to truly fix the problem, we are going to need preventative measures rather than remedial solutions,” said sophomore Robert Blacha.

Mark DuBois, Student Resource Officer disagrees with Blacha and instead encourages the student body to, “find ways to form their own committee, find their own voice, and take initiative to do that and that will help them going forward in life.”

DuBois had numerous suggestions for improving school safety including school uniforms and limited off-campus lunch periods for seniors.

Several WHHS students and faculty members participated in the seventeen minute National Walkout Day on March 14, 2018 at 10:00 am to honor the Parkland shooting that killed seventeen in February of last year.  After this, the gun control debate heated to a feverish pitch.

With all the recent dangers of school shootings, it is essential not overlook the small things and take even the simplest safety measures when possible.

“Being aware of what is going on around you, like if you see a door open, make sure it is shut, or if you see something that doesn’t seem right, make sure you notify someone,” said Christina Sciacca, english teacher.  “I think if everyone is accountable for that, then it would make it a safer place,” she adds.

Jeremy Hedian, Staff Writer

Jeremy is a Junior at Wayne Hills High School who joined the Patriot Press in September of 2018. He is currently a cross country and track and field athlete...

Luke Kaplan, Staff Writer

Luke Kaplan is a Sophomore at Hills who has been a member of the Patriot Press since September 2018. He plays baseball during the fall and spring, and...

Noah Kaplan, Staff Writer

Noah Kaplan is a sophomore at Wayne Hills who recently joined the Patriot Press in September of 2018. Noah runs cross country and swims year round for...

Kendra Levendusky, Staff Writer

Kendra Levendusky is a sophomore who hopes to have a future in either scientific journalism or political science journalism. She joined Patriot Press in...

Yulieanna Sim, Staff Writer

Yulieanna Sim is a sophomore at Wayne Hills and has just recently joined the Patriot Press in September 2018. She swims on the Hills team and a club team...