Updated: 2018 NBA Mock Draft

By Ethan Yuppa, Aaron Hook, and Jonah Carleton

As June looms closer and closer with the beginning of the NBA playoffs, the feeling of draft night has started to enter every NBA fan’s mind. Here are our predictions for this year’s NBA Draft lottery selections.

1. Phoenix Suns- DeAndre Ayton- C- Arizona

This 7’1, 260 pound center with a 7’0 wingspan has shown resemblance to Dwight Howard with his freakish athleticism and unrivaled determination on the boards, as he averaged 11.6 rebounds in his lone season at Arizona. His offensive game is not yet fully polished, but Ayton has shown the ability to post up and shoot the mid-range shot with consistency. His physicality will certainly be a part of his game on the defensive side as well, as he showed the ability to be a rim protector, averaging 1.9 blocks per game in his freshman season. Ayton made his case to be the clear cut number one overall pick this season, and he certainly deserves it. Many NBA Analysts and experts predict that Ayton will be a star in the league.

2. Memphis Grizzlies- Luka Doncic- G- Real Madrid

The 19-year-old that is currently playing for Real Madrid in Spain has impressed scouts for over a year now. His ability to put the ball in the basket from anywhere on the floor is tremendous, whether it’s driving down the lane and finishing through contact, shooting mid-range pull-ups off screens, or shooting 28-foot bombs with ease, Doncic is a natural scorer. He also shows the ability to be a combo guard and play the 1, averaging 4.6 assists this season. Doncic averaged 5.4 rebounds this season as well, showing he possesses an ability to snag rebounds better than other guards with his 6’8 frame. The potential he has is tremendous.

3. Dallas Mavericks- Marvin Bagley III – F- Duke

Bagley is a gifted athletic scorer who has yet to show any weaknesses to scouts. His defensive potential has been slightly questioned, due to his Duke team having two 7-footers on the team which caused mismatches for quicker forwards. Another concern with Bagley is his health, as he missed over 10 games throughout the season. He has the upside of a player like Karl-Anthony Towns coming out of college in that he has the size, finesse, touch, and raw talent to be a great big man in today’s NBA. Many sources think he has the potential to be a superstar and an above-average forward at the least.

4. Atlanta Hawks- Jaren Jackson Jr. – C- Michigan State

Jackson was a huge part of Michigan State’s success this season, as he complimented fellow Spartan Miles Bridges as an elite rim protector and rebounder. Jackson averaged 11 points a game and about 6 rebounds per game, and he could definitely be a double-double type of guy in the NBA. His true potential comes as a shot-blocker, as he averaged 3 blocks a game this past season, putting him 7th in college basketball in terms of blocked shots per game. Keep in mind, Jackson played just 21 minutes per game this season, so if he had played more minutes, his stats probably would have inflated even more. Jackson can be the guy teams rely on for years to come.

5. Orlando Magic- Mo Bamba- C- Texas

Bamba intrigued scouts in his sole campaign at Texas, not only with his unbelievable combination of length and skill, but with his intangibles as well. He always seems to make the right play, whether that may be seeking a mismatch relentlessly each possession, finding an open shooter when passing out of the post, or perfectly timing a blocked shot to a teammate which turns into a fast break. He is highly touted at due to his 7-foot, 9-inch wingspan and his mammoth 6’11, 225 pound frame.  Weighing 225 pounds, he has a very athletic build especially with his enormous wingspan, which is very good for blocking shots.  He finished second in the Nation in blocks per game, at  3.7. He also averaged a double-double with 12.9 points and 10.5 rebounds per game.  Bamba is a unique player who scouts think will flourish because of his basketball IQ and sheer size.

6. Chicago Bulls – Wendell Carter- C- Duke

Carter showed how dominant he can be this season at Duke, as he averaged 13.5 points and 9 rebounds per game. Scouts love how gifted he is on the defensive end as well, as his athleticism and quickness let him switch on to smaller, quicker guards and he is able to defend them with ease. He is also one of the more skilled post players in the draft, as he uses a variety of moves down low to score. Mike Krzyzewski’s experience and teaching also will have a big impact n Carter, as he spent his freshman season under one of the best coaches of all time. Scouts think that if Carter’s jump shot can become more consistent, he will be one of the league’s most dynamic players and will be a matchup nightmare.

7. Sacramento Kings- Michael Porter Jr.- F- Missouri

Michael Porter Jr’s story is one of if not the most interesting in the draft. A high school phenom, Porter was considered the second-best player in his high school class and committed to play at Washington, before he decommitted and committed to Missouri because Washington fired Head Coach Lorenzo Romar, who had ties to the Porter family. Porter suffered a back injury just 2 minutes into his freshman campaign, and was forced to miss almost all of the regular season. He only played 3 regular season games, in which he averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds per game. Scouts still love his other-worldly athleticism and over-abundance of talent, and predict that despite injuries, he will still be a star.

8. Cleveland Cavaliers (via Brooklyn Nets)- Trae Young- G- Oklahoma

This undersized guard has been one of the most talked about players in the nation. Young’s shooting from infinite range and his ability to break down the defense and pass the ball with elite vision has been nothing short of impressive, though NBA scouts think he doesn’t have a good frame for the league, and that he’s not mature enough. He led the country in points and assists, one achievement that only a few have accomplished. He had a bad Oklahoma team around him though, showing that he had to really carry the load offensively. Defensively, he is a very poor defender, which could lower his draft stock. He has a short wingspan, as well as his overall frame. Young isn’t built like an NBA player, which is also an issue.

Here are our predictions for the remainder of the lottery:

9. New York Knicks- Mikal Bridges- G/F- Villanova

10. Philadelphia 76ers (via Los Angeles Lakers) – Collin Sexton – G- Alabama

11. Charlotte Hornets – Shai Gilgeous-Alexander- G- Kentucky

12. Los Angeles Clippers (via Detroit Pistons) – Miles Bridges- F- Michigan State

13. Los Angeles Clippers- Zhaire Smith- G- Texas Tech

14. Denver Nuggets- Kevin Knox- F- Kentucky

“I think a lot of guys will be star players in the NBA, they were really good in college and they can be even better in the NBA,” said sophomore Jacky Chen who is an avid NBA fan.

This draft is filled with franchise cornerstone players and future all-stars. Many are even saying that this could be one of the best drafts ever. The draft is legitimately loaded at every position and there aren’t really any weaknesses in the draft. Don’t look now, but you may just have posters of some of these guys hanging in your dorm room or your office a few years down the road.