Did OJ Confess?

Although current high school students weren’t even born when, “The Trial of the Century,” happened, many still have an understanding of what happened on the infamous night of June 12, 1994.

On this night in history, Nicole Brown Simpson, OJ Simpson’s ex wife, and Ronald Goldman, a friend of Brown Simpson and waiter at the restaurant they visited that night, were brutally murdered in Los Angeles, California. Simpson was the primary suspect, and when police called him to notify him of what happened, he was on a plane headed to Chicago. Simpson later returned and was taken into custody. What followed was a 134 day trial where Simpson was ultimately acquitted.

Junior Ben Kurzer agrees with the verdict and believes that with all of the documentaries and shows, the TV networks leave the decision of whether Simpson is guilty or not up to the viewer. “The interview in the FX show doesn’t give solid evidence against him so we can’t surely say he is guilty. I still believe ‘If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit.'”

10 years after the trial ended, Simpson did an interview with Fox reporter Judith Regan discussing the trial, the timeline of event, and what he would have “hypothetically” done. The two hour special was called “The Lost Confession” and many people took to twitter to put their point of view of what they thought Simpson meant when “hypothetically” discussing what he would have done.

Throughout “The Lost Confession” Simpson was asked questions based on the trial, and a book he wrote called “If I Did It.” While going through the timeline on what he “hypothetically” would have done, Simpson often refers to a mysterious friend by the name of “Charlie.” Simpson recalls the event saying, “Charlie had a knife[…] I remember I grabbed the knife — I do remember that portion, taking a knife from Charlie — and to be honest after that I don’t remember, except I’m standing there and there’s all kind of stuff around.”

Students of Wayne Hills also shared their opinions of what they thought of “The Lost Confession.” Senior Sam Reyzelman said, “The show was basically OJ going through a rundown of what hypothetically happened. He was there and he just said hypothetical because he just didn’t want to tell the truth. Obviously OJ didn’t do the murders and he is not guilty of it so he must be acquitted.”

During “The Trial of the Century,” Simpson hired Johnnie Cochran as his head lawyer. Cochran played a hue role in the reason Simpson was acquitted, by playing the “race card.” They believed the Detective Mark Fuhrman was framing Simpson for the murders because of his skin color. Senior Laith Hamdan has a different take on that , “I feel that OJ was guilty and that his status in the NFL helped him out in the court of law.”