Students Take a Trip to See the Filming of The View

By Samantha Segreto, Junior Editor

An exciting experience took place when James Hoogstrate’s tv production classes and Donna Del Moro’s journalism class, along with the editors of the Patriot Press, were able to attend the filming of a familiar television talk show known as the View. By around 8 o’clock in the morning on Tuesday, May 16, students boarded their designated bus and traveled to ABC studios, where they would eventually become members of a live studio audience.

Cast members Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Sara Haines, Sunny Hostin, and Jedediah Bila, started off the show by delving into politics and discussing matters such as President Trump’s recent actions and controversial issues involving LGBTQ rights. During commercial breaks, the crew opened up the discussion to the audience, allowing WHHS students to ask questions and share their opinions. Heart-wrenching matters and political debates were brought to light as a result of people beginning to expressively voice their thoughts, reminding students about the fortunate ability that we have to exercise our 1st amendment rights.

Afterward, special guests Minnie Driver and Micah Fowler stepped onto the stage, speaking about their show Speechless, a heart-warming comedy that centers around a not-so-conventional family who struggles with difficulties like cerebral palsy and all that it entails.

Afterward, here’s what a few members from our editorial staff had to say about the trip:

“I thought it was a great experience to see how people have excelled in their field and how they truly have fun while informing people around them,” said Jake Goldberg, senior.

“Being able to watch a live television broadcast was fantastic for me. It’s a whole new perspective when you see it all come together in person rather than learning about it in a classroom. I’ll remember the trip for a long time,” said Jake Samieske, senior.

“I thought it was a really great trip. I found it amazing how casual the entire cast seemed. For them, it’s just a regular job, but for us it’s a show broadcasted across the entire country that thousands of people watch,” said Brandon Judge, senior.

Overall, through all of the ups and downs, the trip ended up being an unforgettable experienced filled with not only joy but enlightenment as well.