Gary Sanchez’s Historic Career Start

By Seth Friedman, Staff Writer

New York Yankees rookie phenom Gary Sanchez started his major league career in record setting fashion, hitting 11 home runs in his first 23 games.

There were many people who believed that Sanchez’s hitting streak was beginners luck. However, Gary Sanchez followed it up with more records and consistent hitting.  He broke yet another record, hitting his 18th and 19th home runs in only his 45th game, becoming the fastest player in MLB history to hit his 18th home run.

Sanchez also led the Yankees on a charge and back into the playoff race. When the rookie played in his first game, the Yankees were 54-53 and five games out of a wild card playoff spot, but the Yankees improved to 76-65 and only one game out of a playoff spot.

It seems improbable to many baseball fans that a rookie who is only going to play 60 games can win the Rookie of the Year Award, a prize given out to the best rookie in the league every year.  However, at this point in the season, among all rookies, Sanchez has 19 home runs, which is one behind the leader, Nomar Mazara, who has played 139 games.  He also has 38 runs batted in, only 24 behind the leader. These statistics are unheard of considering he has played about 30% of the full 162 game season. Sanchez also leads all rookies in batting average, on base percentage, and slugging percentage.  Many baseball analysts say that if Sanchez can keep up this pace, he has a legitimate shot of winning the award.

The New York Yankees have been known for bringing in more experienced players to the team in order to win championships, especially in the 1990’s.  The Yankees have not won the World Series in seven years because their veterans have not been successful due to age and injury.  Sanchez is the light at the end of the tunnel for Yankee fans as they have been in a long search for young talent, and Gary Sanchez is that guy who has it.  Sophomore Louis D’agati said that “he could definitely be a key player for the Yankees in the coming years, both at the plate and behind the plate.”

With Sanchez’s fabulous start, he would be on pace for about 68 home runs and 137 runs batted in if he played the whole season!  A Yankee veteran who is retiring after this season was asked about if he will brag that he played with a future hall of farmer.  “Don’t do that to the kid.  It’s too early!” he responded. These statistics would be extraordinary, especially for a man playing in the big leagues for the first time.

New York Yankee’s announcer John Sterling is known for his crazy home run calls on the radio.  Every time Sanchez hits a home run he says “Gary is Scary!”  Many MLB pitchers are starting to realize how scary it is to pitch to this monster rookie.