NBA Season Coming Soon

By Jake Goldberg, Junior Editor

The upcoming NBA season is almost on its way as the Golden State Warriors and the Cleveland Cavaliers start on Tuesday, October 27.  Over the summer, several teams have attracted free agents who will play pivotal roles during the season.  “There are so many new faces which should make this an exciting season,” says sophomore Marco Caprioni.

The Knicks were surfing the NBA for the big free agents.  However, with their dismal season the previous year and their terrible negotiating tactics, they were not able to attract the former defensive player of the year, Marc Gasol, as well as the former Trail Blazers’ forward, LaMarcus Aldridge.  Although these were big blows to the New York fans, the Knicks were still able to pick up many players that can be beneficial such as Jerian Grant from Notre Dame, Robin Lopz, Derrick Williams, and Arron Afflalo.  These players will hopefully provide the Knicks with more wins this season.

The Bucks, on the other hand, hit the lottery as they picked up one of the most underrated centers in the NBA, Greg Monroe.  Monroe is a great player who can consistently put up good numbers throughout the season.  In addition to Monroe, the Bucks also added Greivis Vasquez and Caron Butler, two mediocre guards who can give the team a spark off the bench.  With these big pick-ups, this team will move up to being one of the best teams in the Eastern conference.

Although the Knicks and the Bucks had a decent off-season, the Spurs seem to be the favorite to win the championship this year as they picked up LaMarcus Aldridge.  Aldridge is well known as one of, if not the best, forward in the NBA.  He has a versatile game as he can shoot from the three-point line, drive, and post up.  The Spurs also picked up another forward, David West, who used to play on the Indiana Pacers.  With the Spurs’ veterans as well as their young blood, their coach, Gregg Popovich looks to obatin yet another NBA championship title.