Cabaret Night Showcases Choir Talent

Cabaret Night 2016

Cabaret Night 2016

By Ekaterina Zelenin, Staff Writer

Students and parents will want to open their ears to the musical talents of Cabaret Night, scheduled for May 18, 2017. This annual event will take place in the school commons, Cabaret Night is a casual evening event in which the WHHS choirs put on a show filled with singing, dancing, and other forms of entertainment.

Originally done to raise money for the school, Cabaret Night has become a tradition that brings families and friends together, while also highlighting the talents of choir students, according to choir members.

Stepping out of their usual formal attire, the school choirs will showcase a fun variety of popular songs that are sure to have the audience sing along. As always food and refreshments will be provided as the visiting guests sit back and relax watching the show.

Cabaret Night will serve as a pivotal moment for individual students to impress the audience. The night will include solos, in which students will get to display their personal vocal talents. While some have worked hard, preparing their own pieces for the show, other students will have their moment in the spotlight during collective songs that are said to be riddled with solo opportunities.

As usual Cabaret Night will be featuring both the Concert Choir and the Chamber Choir, each performing their own music pieces under the direction of choir teacher, Cara Palomba.  Chamber Choir will perform songs  “Enchanted Evening” and “Four Chords”.  While the Concert Choir will perform “Children of Eden” from the musical of the same name and “Happiness” from the musical You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.

The songs in the program will feature solos from Nieve Petrie, Katherine Benedict, Brittany Cummins, Ruslan Mamedov, Kara Hamalainen, Katlyn Moraino, Melissa Goldfine, and Amanda Seminara, Alexandra Peixoto, and Joe Mezza.

Along with the two major choirs, Cabaret Night will also include the WHHS acapella group known as Patriot Voices, who will be showcasing an independent piece, as well as the Concert choir boys who will perform a piece known as “Fugue for Tinhorns” from the musical Guys and Dolls. The song will be taken on by the choir’s Ruslan Mamedov, Brandon Kim and Brian Duarte.

Sophomore choir member and soloist Hamalainen has commented about the upcoming show. “Unlike our winter and spring concerts, Cabaret Night is all about pop and Broadway music,” she said. “I’m really excited to be able to perform a different style of music from what we usually do at our formal concerts. Cabaret Night also includes dancing and movement with the songs, which makes it really exciting.”