Softball Season Springs Into Action

By Sam Vaught, Staff Writer

Softball springs into their season this year with a fresh start.

The season started early March with Rayna Caruso and Amy Pearce as varsity coaches. Richard Basilicato graduated from freshmen coach to Junior Varsity, with Michael Levy taking his place.

Both Varsity and JV won their first scrimmages against Cliffside Park High School. At the current average of 30 degrees in the day, it surely doesn’t feel like softball season yet and unfortunately most of the planned scrimmages were cancelled due to the harsh weather.

Not only have the scrimmages been cancelled, but it has forced the team to have to practice inside the past month. Finally getting outside to play was a big relief for the team to get back to normal practices.

However, with the results of the scrimmage last week and varsity’s strong starting players, the team is set for their first game against DePaul this Saturday.

The seniors this year are Rachel Vellis, Mackenzie Moore, Keely Hassert, Brianna Azzopardi and Christie Chamberlain.

Rachel Vellis plays shortstop and is planning on going to LIU Post for field hockey. Mackenzie Moore plays first base and pitches and is going to University of North Carolina- Wilmington. Keely Hassert plays third base and is heading to Bloomsburg University. Brianna Azzopardi plays the vital centerfield and is attending Quinnipiac University. Christie Chamberlain is a second base player and is undecided about her college plans.

Sophomore Breanna Orellana raved about the team saying “ The game is a lot of fun and the team is very close. It’s just a great sport.”