Students Look Back on the Last Year of Music

By Nick Tulino

Hundred of thousands of songs are released each year, but what are the favorites among WHHS students?

By far, the most popular song among students was Drake’s “One Dance” featuring Kyla and Wizkid. The song was released during April of last year and ranked third on Billboard’s most popular songs of 2016 list. “I don’t really know why I like it. I guess because it has a good beat.” said Sophomore Maitri Patel. Drake had a very successful year and “One Dance” was not his only hit. “Hotline Bling”, “Too Good”, and “Jumpman”, all from his album Views were also very popular.

Runners up for the most popular song includes The Weeknd’s “Starboy”, Twenty One Pilots’ “Heathens” and “Stressed Out”, and Kanye West’s “Ultralight Beam” and “Fade”. “It’s a pretty good song. It’s my workout song. I put it on every time I’m about to start my workout for swimming.” said Sophomore Ethan Goldberg about Kanye West’s “Fade”. Other artists such as Justin Bieber, Desiigner, Beyonce, Fifth Harmony, Rihanna, Adele, Shawn Mendes, and Ariana Grande also released songs that were very popular among students.

Rock and metal songs, although not as popular as previously mentioned songs, still had many students’ attention. Greenday’s “Revolution Radio”, Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Go Robot”, and Highly Suspect’s “My Name is Human” were all well liked. Junior Alec Oppenheim citing Metallica’s “Atlas Rise” as his overall favorite song of the year said “Atlas Rise is a great song. I think their new record as a whole is great and it really brings back their sound from the 80’s.” Insomnium’s “Winter’s Gate” and Opeth’s “Will O the Wisp” were the favorite metal songs of the year.

Music is subjective and not everyone is going to like the same genre, band, or artist. At the same time music can influence or motivate us to do certain things. That it why seeing other people’s tastes can be interesting especially when music is constantly played around us.