Trump and Abe Meet, Golf and Shake Hands…For a Long Time

By Hanna Qira, Staff Writer

President Trump met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on February 10.

The trip was Abe’s first to the White House since Trump’s inauguration, however, it was not his first time meeting the president. Abe met Trump at Trump Towers when he was president-elect.

Trump and Abe focused on the trade and defense relationships among the United States and Japan. Abe also spoke about high-power Japanese trains, which could play a role in Trump’s plan for new infrastructure.The Japanese Prime Minister said the train could get from Washington to New York “where Trump Tower exists,” in under an hour.

Abe also spoke about Trump’s lack of political experience. He said, “Donald, president, you are an excellent businessman, but you have never been in the Congress or been governor.” He says that Trump won because of “the dynamism of democracy.”

Trump and Abe spent the weekend at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida. The two played together in a friendly game of gold. Abe said, “In a relaxed atmosphere, I hope to take time to discuss with Donald on the future of the world, future of the region, and the future of Japan and the United States.

Sophomore at WHHS, Jordyn LoPresti said, “I’m glad that the meeting went well. I think Japan is a very important ally for the United States and I’m curious about whether or not Trump will adopt the high-speed train that Abe was talking about!”