Bolt Loses Olympic Title – Carter Caught Doping

The+Jamaican+team+was+stripped+of+their+gold+medal+due+to+a+doping+scandal.+

Runner's World

The Jamaican team was stripped of their gold medal due to a doping scandal.

By Katie Durot, Staff Writer

Nine years ago at the 2008 Beijing Olympic games, Usain Bolt was awarded a gold medal along with his relay team consisting of Asafa Powell, Michael Frater, and Nesta Carter for the 4×100 meter relay. The team came in first place with an astonishing time of 37.10 and was able to celebrate all of their hard work and enjoy the praise of those around them. But how can we be so sure that the medal was obtained via dedication and devotion to the sport? Bolt’s teammate, Nesta Carter, tested positive for methylhexaneamine, a banned stimulant, more commonly known as Forthane. The entire relay team was stripped of their medals and had to return them to the IOC, or the International Olympics Committee.

Bolt commented that he was “not pleased with the situation” but that it “was now time to move forward.” In Rio at his final Olympics, Bolt tied Carl Lewis and Paavo Nurmi for the most Olympic track and field medals at nine and now he falls one below the record. It’s heartbreaking to see such hard work and dedication being disregarded because of the decision of another. Sophomore Nieve Petrie said that “Bolt is such an inspiration, and I can only hope that he’s able to hold the record, the possibility is still tangible.” This serves as a reminder that our actions not only effect us, but those around us. And remember kids, there’s no hope in dope!