Olsen Finalist for NFL Man of the Year

Carolina Panthers

Greg Olsen, a former Wayne Hills student, is a finalist for the NFL Walter Payton Man of The Year Award.

By Seth Friedman, Staff Writer

Greg Olsen, a Wayne Hills Class of 2002 alumnus, has been announced as a finalist for the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year Award.

This award is one of the most prestigious awards in the National Football League, given to the player who has made the biggest difference in the game, both on and off the field.  Olsen is a finalist along with Giants Quarterback Eli Manning and Cardinals Receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

Olsen has created two charitable foundations, The HEARTest Yard and Receptions for Research: The Greg Olsen Foundation.  The HEARTest Yard is a foundation that provides families whose children suffer from specific heart conditions with a multitude of funds and services.   This program was created in honor of Olsen’s son who was born with a heart condition.  He also lobbied a bill in front of the House of Representatives that required a heart screening for every newborn baby.  This bill was passed in 2o14.

His other foundation, Receptions for Research, helps raise money for cancer research.  Olsen plans and executes many events in Chicago to help raise money.  His most well known event for this foundation is Kicks for a Cure.

These organizations have raised over $1.2 million and this money has been donated to the Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina.  If Olsen wins, he will be awarded $1 million, $500,000 of which will be donated to his two foundations.

“It’s great to hear of a notable Wayne Hills alumni who contributes to the betterment of society and acts as a role model for current students,” said Mike Ferreira, a sophomore.