The Nation Preps for the Inauguration

By Ekaterina Zelenin, Staff Writer

The long journey of President Elect Donald Trump officially ends and begins on Friday, January 20 when he is officially sworn in as the 45th President of the United States.  After one of the most politically heated elections in U.S. history, Trump will make his victory official as the peaceful transition of power takes place.

With the new President Elect waiting to enter the White House, current President Barack Obama has had his final closure to an eight-year term of presidency. Making his farewell address on January 10th 2017, Obama issued gratitude to the American nation as well as his wife and First Lady, Michelle Obama and his daughters, Malia and Sasha.  In his speech, Obama mapped out Congress’s goals and also announced the future responsibilities of the upcoming President Donald Trump.

As Americans await the day their new leader will step into the oval office, preparations for his entry begin.  The  public ceremony will be broadcast through online media and television. However, Newsweek.com reports that the commemoration will commence slightly earlier than normal.

According to the site, both the Wreath Laying Ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery and the Welcome Concert at Lincoln Center are set to happen on Thursday, January 19th. The site’s consensus explains that the day will open with the laying of the wreath from 3:30-4:00 pm and will be followed by the welcoming concert that will run from 4:00 pm-6:00 pm. Of course, the most crucial portion of the Swearing In Ceremony will take place Friday, the next day.  

While President Elect Trump has gained a large following, many Americans are still displeased with the outcome of the election. Already, several celebrities have taken advantage of their status and issued public discontent over the President Elect by refusing to perform at his inauguration.  

Despite these minor setbacks, it has been confirmed that The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and America’s Got Talent 16-year-old alumna Jackie Evancho, have both welcomed the honor of performing in the Swearing In Ceremony. Furthermore, Newsweek.com also promises Talladega College’s (a historically African American American school in Alabama) marching band for the parade, as well as The New York-based Rockettes.

The events will then conclude on Saturday, January 21 with the customary inauguration balls as well as an  interfaith prayer service.

After receiving the news about these events, some students at WHHS gave their feedback and opinions about the celebrity rants.

“As their own people, I think that they are entitled to that choice,” responded sophomore Tori Bregman. Bregman also noted that the young singer, Jackie Evancho, was wise for agreeing to perform. “I think it will be good for her publicity. A big performance like this is bound to get her a record deal.”

Similarly, student and active choir member Joe Mezza believes that people have a right to reject entertaining at the inauguration. He did, however, say that he will be watching the event and even stated, “Based on my political and personal beliefs, I would have denied the request of performing for the president. But, it’s their choice, of course.”