Another Season of WHHS SDA Begins

Casey Grosjean

Both teams – Maroon and White – are practicing hard for the upcoming SDA competition. Pictured is Kiana Garcia, maroon captain

By Gianna Petruccelli and Natalia Aliotta

As WHHS moves on from fall sports and into the season of winter, students from all grades join together for the school’s’ 50th premiere of SDA.

SDA stands for Student Dance Association.  This is where girls from any grade can join a team (either white or maroon) and learn a dance to compete at the February shows. The dance show will take place on the 23rd, 24th, and 25th of February of 2017. Two teams make up the show and have a friendly rival on the stage. The White and Maroon Teams have already started their first practice and are excited to get to work. “I’m so excited for the season to start! My captain and I have so much planned for these girls, it will be one heck of a show!” says White Jazz captain Jillian Schear, junior.

Because it’s the 50th year of Wayne Hills High School being open, the theme for SDA is “Eyes on T.V.” Each dance has their own creative connection to the school and education in general. White Jazz has the theme of technology and Maroon Jazz is Education. White Tap has the theme of fashion, while Maron Tap’s theme is business. White Poms’ theme is weather and Maroon Poms’ theme is military. Lastly, White Aerobics has the theme of First Responders and Maroon Aerobics will dance to the theme of sports.

SDA is meant for any student who takes dancing lessons or not. Although there are no tryouts, SDA is taken seriously and is practiced by each team twice a week. The SDA seasonal practices kicked off on December 12th. Maroon and white jazz, and tap practices are on Mondays and Tuesdays. Aerobic and Pom practice on Wednesdays and Thursdays as well.

Many students, including a male student, have signed up for the competition. Overall, the whole program has almost 200 students, with the White Team having 91.

As practices continue, girls start getting more excited for the upcoming show. With the premiere date fast approaching, captains have been working hard to teach their teams the dance routines.