CFP: There can only be one team. Who will win?

By John Conturso, Staff Writer

The regular season is officially over. You know what that means? It’s playoff and bowl season. The committee has officially chosen its four teams for the playoff. Those four teams are Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Washington. Alabama and Washington are playing each other while Clemson and Ohio State are playing each other. There was some controversy on Washington. It came down to Washington and Penn State and the committee went with Washington. You can argue for Penn State as they beat Ohio State and won the Big 10 conference championship. They also played in and won the best conference in all of college football this season. Yet, they did have two losses compared to Washington’s one loss. Washington also played the weakest out of conference schedule in all of college football this season. Yet, Washington won the PAC-12 and they beat many ranked teams. The committee could have gone either way with this last slot.

I caught up with Billy Busacca (2020) and asked him who should have gotten that fourth slot. “I believe it should have gone to Penn State because they beat Ohio State which was one of the best wins in college football this season. Washington also played no really good teams this year so I felt like it should have gone to Penn State.”

There was no doubt that Alabama and Clemson would get in. There was also some controversy with Ohio State too. They didn’t win their conference like the other three teams did and Penn State could have been ranked ahead of them. Although there record against Top 25 teams was phenomenal as they went 5-1 against Top 25 teams which the committee surely liked. They also beat Oklahoma which is good for their non-conference resume.

For Penn State, it was a promising season as they almost got to the CFP with limited amount of scholarships because of the scandal of Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno. The school showed great promise and James Franklin has really tuned heads this season and will make teams be afraid to play them next season. He could return this team to the powerhouse they originally were.

Oklahoma is another one of the teams that was close to getting in the CFP. If they didn’t lose to Houston or Ohio State they could have surely been in it. You shouldn’t look like it was a down season for the Sooners as they have two Heisman finalists in Dede Westbrook and Baker Mayfield. They are surely a contender for next season as well as Baker Mayfield stated he will be returning for his senior year.

Finally USC and Louisville were the other two teams that could have made the playoff. It went opposite for the two teams as USC struggled early in the season while Louisville struggle late in the season. Louisville had crucial losses to Houston and Kentucky. They will be feared next season as the sure front-runner for the Heisman, Lamar Jackson will be back and looking for vengeance and pick up where he left o this season. USC made a quarterback change in the middle of the season which proved to be correct as Sam Darnold was one of the hottest players in college football. They had an upset win against Washington in Washington which proved that USC was for real. The sad thing is is that they started to late. They started off 2-3 which is not good if you want to contend o a championship. They will be up there next season as Sam Darnold is only a freshman.

The college season is over and it is now time to see who was the best team in college football. There will be many options, but there can only be one team. The semi-finals are on December 31.