Suicide Rocks Pascack Valley Community

A 17-year-old Pascack Valley High School student from River Dale died after shooting himself in the head on Sunday, November 27th reported by school officials.The teen’s body was discovered in Wood Dale County Park in Woodcliff Lake by a pedestrian walking by at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.

The teen victim was said to be a well-liked and respected varsity sports player and will be missed by family, friends and all who took place in his life. Further information on the student’s identity will not be released due to the victim being underage.
Following the tragedy, School District Superintendent Erik Gunderson sent multiple emails to parents and students of Pascack Valley High School addressing the situation and informing them of resources in the district.Some members of the district’s crisis response team and the New Jersey Traumatic Loss Coalition had been available at Pascack Valley High School on Monday. The following Wednesday morning, all who had been receiving these emails were made aware of the death.

WHHS student Diana Rondi states, “hearing about something so awful happening so close to my own town makes me sick to my stomach.”

Members of the town, along with nearby towns were shocked and deeply saddened by the situation. To cope, the district schools have been holding assemblies to spread the word and talk about the consequences of suicide.